Measuring tape is not displaying the length I'm measuring

The measuring tape has stopped showing the length that I’m measuring and it’s not in the box at the bottom of the screen either. Any ideas?

Can you show a screenshot of what you are seeing? Is this in SU2018?

Picture1

Im trying to measure the length of the light blue object, dragging from left to right but it’s not indicating length anywhere. It’s not isolated to this object, it wont show for any measurement

and yes it’s Sketchup 2018

What if after activating the Tape Measure tool, you hit Ctrl? Any change?

no luck

Close SketchUp then navigate in Windows Explorer to User/App Data/Roaming/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp, open SharedPreferences.json in a text editor.

Scroll down to “Preferences” then look for “ShowInferenceTips”: this should say True. If not change it to True - Save the file close

Launch SketchUp and see if you get the tool tips.

i think I screwed myself up when i changed the drawing preference. i changed it back to click-move-click and im back in action on the tape measure (i have a love-hate relationship with this program!). thank you for the help!

1 Like

That’s an odd thing to change for a fix but as long as it works…

Hello,

I have the same problem. The dimension is no longer displayed when hovering with tape tool.
I was able to open the “SharedPreferences.json” file where I changed False to True and then saved it.
Then I quit and restart sketchup. No success. And when I open “SharedPreferences.json” again, the setting is back to False.
Why doesn’t the setting hold? How can I make it work permanently?

Show Inference

You have to quit SketchUp before editing the .json file. SketchUp saves its settings as it closes, and will overwrite changes made while it is open.

1 Like

@slbaumgartner
Oh yes!
It works.
Thank you so much!

1 Like