Measuring angles in the plane of a section cut

I have a 3d shape and I want to measure a few of the angles of the intersection lines of the surfaces of the shape in a section plane that slices the shape perpendicular to one of the surfaces. (This is to get the bevel angle correct for creating the shape from wood)

Here’s what I’m doing:
(The 3d shape is a component which I’m editing.)

I create a section plane parallel to one of the surfaces in the shape.
I then select the section plane and rotate it 90 degrees so that it is perpendicular to the surface.
I move the section plane to cut the shape.
I align the view with the section plane so I can see what I’m trying to measure.

I can’t see how to get the protractor tool to measure the angles in this cut between the various surfaces in my shape in the plane of the section cut.

Is there a way to do this without modifying my 3d shape by adding extraneous surfaces in the section plane? How?

Thanks!

You’re using SketchUp 2017 Make as indicated in your profile? One way would be to first create a Group from Slice so you have actual edges to measure between. Right click on the section plane and choose the option.

Another way would be to set up guidelines and measure between them. I don’t even bother with a section plane if I’m doing that.

Or you might not need anything but the Protractor tool.
measure

Hi Dave. Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I am using Sketchup Make 2017. I confess I have been unable to use the protractor directly on my component as your example and my guess is because the lines that border the surfaces in my component are not parallel to any of the three axis, znd I do not know how to get the protractor aligned to rotate around a line not one of the 3 primary axes. I have tried using the arrow keys to no avail.

I’ll try the create group from slice command but I’m not sure how to remove the group when I’m done with it. I often find multiple undo commands necessary when I’ve inadvertently made changes I need to remove.

Alan

You’ll note that the edge I was working off is not on axis either. I clicked and held the mouse button while dragging along the edge to get the protractor to stand up in the correct orientation.

If you go this route you can simply select and delete the group like any other group.

If you share your SKP file I might be able to give you more specifics.

Excellent! That’s what I was missing. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Another way to do it is to use the Angular Dimension 2 plug-in from SketchUcation plug-in store.