Material Pixelation

When applied to this model, native Sketchup materials are completely pixelated. However, within the same file when applied to a cube, materials appear at the proper scale. Any ideas what I can do about this? I’m just learning to use Podium and I want to start out with native Sketchup materials - This pixelation carries over in Podium.

change the image scale in the material properties:

It would be great if we could interrogate the model. Any chance you could share it?

Scaling components or groups also scales their textures. Without the model it is impossible to say if this is the problem.

Anssi

Project3.skp (387.2 KB)

Indeed it is due to scaling the group from a very tiny size.

I know this screenshot doesn’t make a lot of sense, but it shows that some planes show materials properly while others are pixelated. Thank you all for you help.

When I use the original components at their original size, the materials are still pixelated.

It’s because of the way you’ve scaled the groups instead of scaling the geometry inside along with the timing of when you applied the material.

How big are these things really supposed to be?

There is no particular size but very large compared to humans. Based on what you said I exploded everything and tried again, works fine. Thank you for all the help!

One last question if you don’t mind, what do you mean by scaling the geometry inside groups rather than scaling groups?

I think you are confused as to what constitutes “pixelation.” This is where an image is displayed with such low resolution that you can actually discern the individual pixels (picture elements–essentially squares of solid color) making up the image. It is blocky, not blurry as your examples are.

I mention this because using the wrong term in your question can really result in a big disconnect in the response. Please be sure of your language.

Look at these examples of pixelation: Google image search on “pixelation”

-Gully

Inside or outside groups or components refers to context, one of the more essential concepts in SU. A context is the editing mode for an object. To enter a component’s context, double-click it, whereupon you can edit the elements contained by the component. In order to operate upon a geometric primitive such as an edge or a face, you must be in the same context as that primitive; that is, you must be “inside” the containing component. If you are not in the component’s context, all you can do are gross operations upon it, like paint it, scale it, or move it, treating it as a whole.

You would be smart to look up and read everything you can on “context.”

-Gully

@JesseD JesseD

Along with understanding context, you will want to look into how Components and Groups work. Your model is comprised entirely of groups and many of the pieces are repeating elements. This ideal for the use of Components instead of Groups. The use of Components will allow you to modify one element and all the other element instances will change as well.

Here is a quick video to get you started

That’s the problem: the texture is increasing in size with the component.
If it is a component (rather than a group) then the r-click context menu will give you the option to re-set the “scale definition” - this will over-write the original component’s scale with the one you have selected and all the textures will forget that they have been stretched, reverting back to the x/y dims in the dialogue.

Thank you all again. I have been using Sketchup for years but usually only to work out dimensions and angles for simple woodworking projects. I am ready to delve a little deeper and have learned a lot very quickly from this thread.