Making a bookcase in SketchUp (beginners tutorial series)

So this marks the beginning of the sketchup beginners tutorial series
the purpose of making all these items will be to make a room in the end.

if you have any questions you can ask me in here or in the comments section, i will reply for sure.

if you want to know how to run sketchup in linux watch this video

i am uploading new tutorial every week, so keep a check.

if you have any ideas on what i should make next you can tell me anytime :slight_smile:

It’s a somewhat interesting video of a new user drawing in SketchUp. I wouldn’t consider it a tutorial because it is missing too much information and it doesn’t seem to be especially well organized. It would be very difficult for a beginner to follow what you are doing. Your process seems to be kind of clumsy, too. I also find the electronic music annoying and out of place.

1 Like

you are right about this, but i didn’t wanted to make a speed run out of this, and making a tutorial without using voice, would be really long and confusing. so i decided to pass some tips along the way. which can help the viewer…

maybe i should change the title of the video… and yeah the process is a bit clumsy, i forgot to drew it earlier, and kept no references, so it wasn’t really smooth

(Moved to the Tutorials > Requests and Discussion sub-category.)

A bookshelf is a singular object. A bookcase has several book shelves.
Sketch Up is two words. SketchUp is a registered trademark and brand name.
(Edited topic title.)

1 Like

Since it is not one, I would remove any reference to it being a tutorial. New users aren’t going to know what you re doing and people who can follow will already know how to use the tools.

To be honest, it looks to me as if you could learn how to use the tools better and more efficiently yourself. You would also find it useful to learn how a piece of furniture it really made. The bottom of your bookcase, for example, is a couple of knife edges. That type of foot doesn’t make for a good piece of furniture. the edges would damage the floor and they’d be so delicate that they would be crushed when you load the shelves with books.

1 Like

ok i am remove the tutorial references everywhere…and

i was trying to take it slow considering it for beginner users only, so i didn’t used advance tools or keyboard shorcuts,

and of course, i should take care of realism in the future.

Think it can be called a book shelf as well and hate me for saying this it doesn’t really matter if it is not for commercial or legal purposes…

No matter how slowly you go, if you don’t tell the user what you are doing and why, a new user will just be stumped. There are also things you do in the video that don’t seem to have a purpose. There are edges you draw only to erase them again. It kind of looks like you don’t know what you are doing and you are changing your mind as you go. If you want to make tutorials, that’s good. But you need to actually teach something in a coherent way

3 Likes

I’m relatively new to SketchUp so for me it was really interesting and helpful! Thanks for posting this :smiley:

1 Like

Here is an other link :

1 Like

Thank you for posting the link! I’ll have a look into it! I’m a total beginner at this so it’ll help me out very much :slight_smile:

Really Glad you liked it, i thought it was just a waste of time and not helpful to anyone, but if you want i would try to make more and better videos :slight_smile:

It’s good that there’s no speech in the video because the music requires to be muted.

2 Likes

next time i will use better relaxing music and turn the volume down, you can anytime mute and play your own music :slight_smile:

1 Like

And if you plan to talk in a future video, please don’t have any music at all then. Background music is awful for accessibility.

1 Like

I just saw this post for the first time and I am compelled to offer these comments.

1. This material does not yet fully qualify to be referred to as a “Tutorial”.
  2. A good tutorial provides clear and concise instructions describing that which is being taught.
  3. It also should provide high quality graphic contrast to ensure the viewer understands what is presented. Consider your use of the green background with the visually distracting red text.
  4. Good tutorials show a step by step process using a single overt method to disseminate the material, such as employing numeric cues associated with a specific image to reinforce the act in the proper sequence.
  5. The most effective tutorials will additionally incorporate a voiceover that clearly delineates what is being shown onscreen.

Please take note that much of what is shown in your video is void of description and a new user is certain to be baffled because of the lack of explanation. Although your intentions are to be appreciated, I implore you to use better judgment before posting teaching materials.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.