Love/hate layout dimensions

Hello all,

I know this is user error but can layout be any less intuitive???

It is a very simple model… just pulling dimensions for a framer, can not consistently lock onto an end point in layout

Attached is the simplest 3d drawing imported from
ag.layout (365.7 KB)
sketchup… All of the points lock on except the opening in the bottom left of the page. Why?

I know my model has flaws, Just trying to figure out why i can measure some opening and not others when they were all drawn the same in sketchup

Looking at your file… you are using LayOut v3.0?

First I went to your model - you do not have any scenes saved… that will be a problem later on. Learn about scenes and use them…

And you are not using groups or components except what you made as one big model -

:scream:

This might be part of the problem, but not sure - the opening and the opening above are offset. LayOut might have trouble picking up the lines below.

It would be far easier to measure the openings if you used a section cut:

Sometimes I can’t snap to a point because it is behind other geometry - I will then temporarily (in LayOut) switch to a Back Edges style - this will allow me to make the inference for the dimension I need then I can go back to whatever style I was using…

Maybe start here:

You would greatly benefit by spending some time at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series and Level UP series. They cover the basics for each tool.

There is a training series about layout. There are too many errors in the model. This is why you cannot dimension it.

1 Like

Thanks for the fast replies, yes i need training, the top plate was interfering with grabbing the end point, I use sketch 99% of the time and export to PDF small files.

Anywhoo, Here is my sketch up file. When I send it to layout, any changes to one page/view , changes all other pages/views. I am not sure what i am doing wrong, In the past, it worked. Is is not fancy, just need elevations and a simple floor plan

Chris
conventional valley 12.14.skp (412.7 KB)

You are not using scenes, or your LayOut viewports are all displaying the “latest saved SketchUp view” instead of being locked to a scene.
What version of SketchUp are you actually using? Are you still on Windows 7? Correct your profile.

I still use windows 7 in my office, Sketchup 8.0

Please add that to your forum profile.

It seems kind of late to be reporting that you are having trouble with dimensions in LayOut 3. The Dimension tool has improved considerably since LayOut 3. Besides the incorrect modeling processes and incorrect workflow in LayOut, you’re crippling yourself by sticking with that ancient version that is missing a lot of capability.

This will likely make it hard for you to get good feedback from the folks on this forum. Generally speaking, if you are seeing limitations in tools in the version you are looking at, the newer versions may will include improvements (as almost 14 years of enhancements have happened since the version you are using).

2 Likes

It is also essential that you put all that info in your profile so that we know how to answer your questions. So, please correct your profile information.

1 Like