Locking a component

I am relatively new to the program, I have drawn up a truck tray which I want to lock and then I will draw a full canopy. I cannot seem to lock the original drawing so I can add the canopy? The Help centre advises to ensure that “Replace Component with Selection” is checked but I do not have that option on my drop down list. Can someone please help?

Share the .skp file with us so we can see what you have modeled so far.

Lock is only available for components and groups. If your geometry is still loose there won’t be anything to lock.

FWIW, if the geometry of the truck tray has been made into a group or component you don’t need to lock it before you start modeling the canopy.

Thank you for responding Dave. Managed to work it out by making the tray as a group.
Cheers

Probably ought to find out why making it a component didn’t work. I’ll guess it’s something wrong in your process. I’d also guess there’s a component in the In Model components based on your first post.

To help achieve your goals, some time spent at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series. It covers the basics for each tool.

Maybe the geometry wasn’t grouped or made a component, that’s the only reason I can think of why it wasn’t working.