Lock Layer not available in SketchUp 2017

I want to lock a layer so that it cannot be edited.

All the documentation on the site says you go to Window > Layers, and click the lock symbol next to the layer in question.

There is no lock symbol.

What should I do?

are you looking at LayOut documentation rather than SU?

john

John must be on the right track. There is no lock for layers in SketchUp and never has been. There is no need. You have to be deliberate about editing a text entity in s SU anyway.

Like John and Dave I hope you were really asking about Layout, but if you really did mean SketchUp I recommend that you read up about SketchUp’s “layers” on the help knowledge base. Since all they do is provide a visibility control that multiple entities can share, locking a layer wouldn’t do anything useful. For example, it wouldn’t stop a user from editing entities and wouldn’t prevent them from sticking together

Hi all, thanks for replying.
Yes it appears I was looking at the LayOut documentation and not the SketchUp documentation. My bad.

I’m trying to accomplish having a floor diagram in png format being ‘projected’ onto the floor at the correct scale and then building the objects on top of it.
The trouble is, I keep selecting the image I’ve imported by accident and moving it around.
This is why I wanted to lock it.

Do you have any suggestions?

Right click on it and select Lock.

Ooops, Explode the image and while it is still selected group it, then Right click and select lock.

Hi sqeeb, hi folks.

Make a group or a component with your image then lock that group or component. This will protect it from any unwanted modifications, including move.

Regards.

Jean

D Burs’ Manage Layers plugin includes a lock layer facility.