Line weights for interior design

Hi. I am working on an interior design project using sketchup Pro/Layout and find that the line weights available in Layout aren’t realistic to interior design line weights. For instance you have to go quite extreme to get a thicker or thinner line. Does anyone else experience this and do you have set weights now that work? I feel I am guessing at the moment which is not ideal but only way I can do it. Thanks!

What actual line weights are you trying to achieve and what is your current workflow for line weights in Layout ?

Hi Paul. I am trying to achieve from 0.05 for skirting up to 0.35 for the title block with various in between. I am quite new to sketchup and layout so not sure what work flow means but hope this helps to clarify. I’m finding that all the line weights look the same with no definition between any.
If I go really high then can see a difference but it isn’t necessarily the right weight!
Thank you.

If you’re trying to change the line weights of the tags of a viewport you must set the global line scale to 1 if you want the different line weight to be noticeable.

Hello. Thanks. I will check this. I think it is though.

Is that mm or pts ?

0.05 in mm or pts is quite thin given that 0.5pts in Layout is equivalent to 0.18mm.

In Layout you can set Layout geometry line weight here:

Approximately, 2.0pts = 0.7mm, 1.4pts = 0.5mm, 1.0pts = 0.35mm and 0.5pts = 0.18mm

To control line weights from your SketchUp model you will need to set profiles and section cut line widths in multiples of edges (edges = 1):

and then set your Layout model Line Scale:

and then maybe also have stacked Layout viewports.

For example, in Layout, if the Line Scale for a viewport is set to 0.5pts and in the SketchUp model the style has profiles set to 2, then in Layout the model viewport will have edges at 0.5pts and profiles at 1.0pts.

And setting the width of section cuts in SketchUp to, say, 3 would get you 1.5pts section cuts in Layout.

And as Francisco said – you can control line weights further with tag override in Layout.

You mention title blocks – surely you can draw these in Layout with the drawing tools available setting the stroke thickness to whatever you need…?

It’s a lot to take in – it took me some time to evolve my own workflow taking ideas from Nick Sonder and Mike Brightman and asking question on this forum.

Just checking I have got this right?
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 13.55.03

This is so helpful thank you.
I have this set in Layout. Is this correct?
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 13.55.03

Also I have noticed that line weights on components seem to be thicker than not. Is that normal?

Also I am on a Mac so looks slightly different

Change from raster to vector to be able to see better the line weights.

Ok thank you

Or use Medium or High render quality. Low shows all edges as exaggerated large pixels. For speed, keep using Low.

Yes after checking if the line widths are well, go back to raster and enable line override.

Would you know why when I transfer this rendered file to layout from sketchup the lines become jagged?

Document Setup>Paper, set Output Resolution to High. You can also set Display Resolution to High, but tt slows LayOut down.

Thank you

I have just tried it and they are still jagged. Not sure what else to try…

Is that a screenshot from layout or from the exported file? If you haven’t exported try to export to pdf when a dialog window appears set the quality for images to the highest. Can you make a screenshot of the document setup window on the render tab.

You can also try what happens if you turn on the Export Override and export your page to PDF with Vector or Hybrid rendering. Beware! It is very much slower.

It is a screenshot from the Layout PDF. It is jagged on both unfortunately. I have set to highest.
Here is a screenshot in Layout …