Lighting plan

That’s how I do it. I have a 2-page scrapbook for the purpose. Page 1 has all the individual icons representing light fittings, switches, outlet plates, etc. They are the ones I drag onto the plan. The same icons appear on page 2 but with descriptive text and everything is grouped together so that I import as a single entity as a key.

Wow meaning that all the work is done in Layout

It looks daunting

May I ask which drawing style you are using for your furniture ?

this is just a restyled view of my construction drawing style. i think its just a shaded style (no tex)
here’s the same plan styled for construction drawing
PROPOSED SECTIONS_v2.compressed.pdf (1.5 MB)
PROPOSED_GF_SF_PLANS_v2-compressed.pdf (1.5 MB)

6 Likes

its actually pretty simple, just create a scaled drawing on top of your SU viewport to the same scale then you can set out your lights with correct spacing etc. As Simon says, have a scrapbook setup with the symbols in. Then its just some wiggly lines to show circuits and switching.

Rob, Impressed with your drawings. Is that linework from your model created form GCreate Group from Slice for the Sections or do you use Skalp or similar? Did you do the dotted lines manually? Either way nice lively drawing!

thanks.
its all Skalp

For a Reflected Ceiling Plan approach, go to this thread and look at Anssi’s response. This technique works well, and allows you to most of your work in the SketchUp model.

2 Likes

This is stunning work @bifterx

I too would be interested in how you’ve shown all the joists dotted.

Mike

Thanks Michael.
I just use Skalp’s rear view projection feature with the ceiling plasterboard / insulation layers turned off

cheers
rob

1 Like

Hi Rob

I must be a donut. I use Rear View Projection quite a bit, (although for some reason have not used it in 2019 yet), and I didn’t even think of doing that.

Kind regards

Mike

yes its an exceptionally useful feature, I even use it as a helper function for elevations to help show juxtaposition of other structures behind the camera for context. its just a slow old process to generate.

TONKINSON-ANNEXE plans-compressed.pdf (1.9 MB)
TONKINSON-EXISTING AND PROPOSED ELEVATIONS.pdf (2.3 MB)

There is a temptation to overuse it which I probably did in this case.

3 Likes

That’s a cracking idea to use it for elevations. I’m assuming you just create a section plane parallel to but away from the elevation you want.

Mike

Yep. Indeed.

Thank you for this, exactly what I was looking for, but as a newbie to SU I’ll have to keep slogging to get to this standard - amazing work (a little jealous here!!)

Hello, I’m a little late to the party on this thread but I’ve found it very useful - thank you all!

I’m based in the UK and I’m looking for definitive UK industry standard electrical and lighting symbols. I’ve found lots of really great PDFs online, but they all slightly contradict each other.

Is there a good source for UK industry standard symbols or is it acceptable to ‘consistently’ use my preferred ones from various sources. Thank you in advance…

As far as I am aware (??) there isn’t a standard. There seems to be some general conventions but I just created my own set and include a key on the drawing.

looks like a great plan! I’m very new here! currently studying and building a portfolio. How did you get the curved lines/dots to show the connection to switches etc?

Cheers,
Jackson

Just a graphic overlay layer in Layout using the line tool