Layout Slow when updating model reference

This used to take approx 20 seconds, now it is taking 1 minute 30 seconds to update model reference in Layout.
I think this started after the update to version 31.1.341
I am a Mac user. I updated the OS to Sonoma today, and the problem has not improved.

This makes working with layout whilst editing my Sketchup files massively frustrating and slow.
I am loosing over 45 minutes of my day just watching the spinning beachball of doom instead of being productive!

Any solutions for this?

2 Likes

You shouldn’t have done that, sketchup and layout 2023 don’t have support for MacOS Sonoma, there have been some issues with sketchup running on Sonoma. Sketchup 2024 will be fully supported for Sonoma.

We need to check your file to see what could be the cause, otherwise we can only try to guess what could be a solution.

The update to Sonoma has not affected my use of sketchup or layout. I have not encountered any problems with it.
I was advised to do this update by our IT contractors, to see if it would fix the problem, and to keep all of our Macs up to date with security etc.
With respect, are you an IT professional? Do you know my work network and systems etc?
It is not clear in your message if you are a representative of Sketchup?

This is an issue with every Layout / Sketchup file we have on our system. I have not tested all of the files I have generated over the last 8 years, but it has been a problem with every one I have opened in the last 2 weeks: approximately 40 or so different files.

Good luck, perhaps you will be lucky. I had to roll back from Sonoma after an update. Crashing every two to three minutes.

1 Like

This is a user forum, 99% of the people replying are users, just like you.

Check your rendering resolution. It may be set to high while editing. I think some of the defaults changed with the update.

Thanks. I will try that.

We believe we know the cause of the slowdown during SketchUp model reference update that is seen in the latest 2023.1 release, and are looking to improve the performance of this operation in the future.

Adam

4 Likes

What made you think I’m a representative of Sketchup, this is a users forum, there are some sketchup team members here but you’ll recognize them by the label under their forum user profile.

Good for you, there are a lot of people on this forum that have updated to Sonoma without checking if the software had support and they had to go back to Ventura, they were having random crashes and bugs.

Update:

Thanks for Adam from Sketchup replying to say this is a known issue with 2023.1

I have an older version still on my Mac and have done some comparisons:
A Sketchup file which takes 2 minutes 10 seconds to update in Layout 23.1.341 only takes 10 seconds to update in 23.0.418

Fingers crossed for the next update to fix this.
I am reverting to 23.0.418 until then.

Regards
Mark.

I am having trouble getting my model to update in layout

I have narrowed it down to a crazy big component in sketchup but I can’t seem to locate it.
It’s P24910-snw and it has 81,716 entities.
4423 Marie Hawkins.skp (4.7 MB)

Any tips? It’s taking at least 30 mins each time (sometimes longer) to update my model reference. It’s killing me!

1 Like

Searching in Outliner revealed it. I expected it to be in a bathroom, not on the outside of the house.

You’re right. It has a riduclous number of entites for no more than it adds to your model. I deleted it and purged the file. In the future before you add entourage from the 3D Warehouse or other sources to your project files, open them in a separate file so you can check them over, fix them, or reject them. Only after you find they are ready for use do you add them to your project.

4423 Marie Hawkins purged.skp (2.7 MB)

Hey, guys 2024 Layout isn’t working. I had one project after the update and it was ok, but now it takes like 3-5 minutes to update the model. The model is just 60Mb… it makes no sense.
How to fix it?

10x

Update: I can`t do anything. It just freezes with (Not Responding)…

I wouldn’t call that “just”. Share the LayOut/Model files so we can try to see what is going on. Polygon-heavy components do not necessarily bloat the file size much but the application still has to process the faces and edges. If your LO viewports are using vector or hybrid rendering, it is going to be slow if you have millions of entities.

I work with this software on a daily basis like everyone else. 60Mb is a small file. I can`t share a file that is a company property out in the wild tho… Just for comparison, most of my LO files are over 260Mb

Update: I opened the same file in LayOut 2023 and it takes less than 5 sec to update the model. Therefor, I can confirm the issue is with LayOut 2024

1 Like

Should I consider that nobody else has this issue? I am finalising second project today and LayOut 2024 still lags or freezes. LayOut 2023 works without skipping a beat.

1 Like

Seems not – or at least they either haven’t seen your posts or aren’t replying for some reason.

We can’t really help you without seeing a problem file.

Either share with a selected few on this forum or share/reach out to one of the SketchUp team regulars on the forum.

Anssi asked you for the file 10 days ago.

it’s like going to see a car mechanic because your car makes a weird noise without taking the car with you. can’t really help can we ?

In layout, check if you’re using the new engine or the old one. same in sketchup. see if picking the old classic engine in both will solve the issue. if so, it could be that your computer doesn’t work well with DX12 + SU at the moment

2 Likes

Hello, SnakyG
How long does it take to update the reference model in LO with a file that is 260Mb? Do you have any tips or tricks?
A lot of our LO files are over 100Mb and the SU model is around 80 Mb. And it is taking 1 hr and 45 mins on average to update. Its really killing us. Productivity, time, money.

Any insight or tips on how you make a 260Mb we would be all ears.

Thanks!
Cheers!

See this thread

Layout 2024 performance is awful - SketchUp / Feature Requests - SketchUp Community