Layout export file with name of the page

Hello Guys,
do you know if is possible to export the file in jpeg, by using the pages name for each file?
thank you

There isn’t a native feature for that currently.

do you know if there is any plugin that can help?

Not that I’m aware of. At this time the LayOut API is not opened directly up for extensions.

Are you wanting the page name printed on the page when the jpg exports?

Can any developers help me with the same problem?

Shoot, I could really use exactly this too @capottolo … I need each jpg/png file to be the name of each page it is from in layout, for example the page names in my layout file of each individual detail are detail 1.0, detail 1.1, detail 2.0, etc. Right now in layout my pages when exported to images, exports the image file names as 1,2,3,4 per page in layout, the problem is, as shown in my example above, I need my exported layout pages exported as image files, to read the layout page name and title the image file name accordingly, detail 1.0, detail 1.1, etc…

Does anyone know any possible way around this? I have a very large library of files I need to export and update regularly. My company is in need of somethign like this, otherwise I’m forced to manually name hundreds of files… @DanRathbun or @eneroth3 , or @thomthom was hoping you could help here, wondering if there is anyway to tell layout when exporting an image of a page, to make that image file name to be the name of the layout page name…?

Perhaps this quick one is something like you wanted… :innocent:
Be aware that I’ve never used Layout, and this is the very first time involving the Layout Ruby API into my code!

Other Notes :

• You have to install and use this Extension in SketchUp (I don’t even think there is possibility in Layout)
  • No warranties! Use your own risk! Save your work before use it! Etc. … etc….
  • Not fully polished, not tested enough.
  • SU2020.1 or newer required.
  • Not tested on MAC. (I don’t have it.)
  • My mother never talked to me in English.

Dezmo_Print_Layout_to_imgs_test.rbz (33.1 KB)

Usage:
layoutopic

The renaming schema e.g:
Layout file name: mylayout.layout
The page names there: Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4

The extension will generate this files, in a same directory where the layout file located:

mylayout-Scene 1_1.png
mylayout-Scene 2_2.png
mylayout-Scene 3_3.png
mylayout-Scene 4_4.png

or

mylayout-Scene 1_1.jpg
mylayout-Scene 2_2.jpg
mylayout-Scene 3_3.jpg
mylayout-Scene 4_4.jpg

(So the “system” is still attaching the page number at the end of the file name.)

Dezmo may already have you covered here for new exports to .jpg/.png

However, and just a suggestion…have you tried an image batch processing feature like Photoshop Elements?
This allows for prefix of your choosing (document name) and a suffix (serial number/sequence).
Obviously if you need a unique prefix for each image file this will not solve that.
C

There are many other program (utilities) that can use as “batch file renamer” without even image processing. But non of it can read the page names in the layout file… :wink:

Actually, I’m using Total Commander as file manager, with the Multi rename tool included in it, for example, very easy to remove the last number from the file names, but impossible to add the page names from the layout file…

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this Dez and thanks for your comments Charlie! I will keep you posted Dez with what happens, thanks again! Will give it a shot soon…

P.s., it would not be possible for me to use a program to rename the layout exported images since layout exports the images starting from 1 and going in numeric order. If there are 10 photos, layout would export as 1, 2,3 up to 10. This would never work for me to add a prefix to these images becaue the sets of details and their sub nested pages are random, there is no pattern to identify. E.g. I could have detail 1 series and the sub pages being 1.1,1.2, and than I could have detail 2 and sub pages being 2.1,2.2,2.3,2.4 and so on. Since there is no pattern there, this is why I can only get this to work if layout could export each image and assign a name to each image of the page it came from in layout…

There must be some “order” to your drawing details that could potentially be better organized with some automation…perhaps too optimistic of me?

Maybe you could share an example of how the exported image page names mirroring your layout pages are being used/searched?

Maybe a “drawing list” or detail “set” key is an alternative that would identify by set prefix naming & suffix number in file name. (Like a book index)

IDK…interesting problem that may have a solution…I think.

Interesting. All of what you say I am all too familiar with, it is not possible to create a pattern in the way I described it above, but maybe a bit more digging with prefix names… Interesting, will look into it, thanks for the brainstorming :smiley:

p.s… for my drawings, I do actually have my drawing pages and my drawing numbers, numbered in such a way that if I add or remove pages from the drawing set, I will never have to change my references. I spent a lot of tiem trying to figure that out, I save countless hours and headache now, because when I reference a page or drawing number once, it’s done, even when things are added to the set or removed, I love it. I wonder how to do the same for my details… I think it’s possible with the details, but the level of complexity would have to be understood, for example in order to effectively name details where they all belong to a prefix, I’d have to identify how I want to fundamentally oragnize all possible construction details, what are the ones with exterior insulation classified as, vs the ones without, is it a conditioned space, unconditioned, etc? This is complex and I’ve had to do too much thinking lately to even want to try to attempt this one haha, turns out though, I might have no choice, because I need this to work now… lol

Charlie, if you do design stuff, I’d be down to have a zoom call with you if you’re interested in brainstorming this… If you are a designer, would be nice to meet another fellow designer/sketchup user anyways.