Layout crashes

Were you able to get into it?

No. It looks like you’re trying to share directly from your computer but I don’t have access to it. Upload the file to DropBox.

Going to look up the Dropbox instructions. What I did, I selected my file and copied onto the Dropbox in your folder. I cannot find “Upload”

You need to log in to your own Drop Box account and the click Upload over on the right side.

I got it all uploaded and ready to share with you except I need your email address to give you the link. Just DaveR will not let me share this specific file.

Click on Copy Link and paste it here in the forum or in a prrvate message to me.
Screenshot%20-%205_31_2018%20%2C%206_25_15%20PM

Just need more info in order to create a link. Any attempt to create a link gives me this

Hope it works! I just clicked on “Create link” without supplying name or email address!

Getting it now.

I see a few things that could be problem causing. There are several things that are affecting the SketchUp
file size. There are 47 different styles in it although you’re only using 13 of them and it would appear you might only need one or two of them. The photos you imported into SketchUp will add to the file bloat. It would be better to insert those directly into the LayOut file instead. Considering your Intel graphics, you need to do anything and everything to take it easy on it since they are well known for not being great at handling OpenGL.

I purged your SketchUp file and in addition to the unused styles, I removed 28 of 97 components, 9 of 50 Layers (that seems like an excessive number of layers for this table, by the way), and 97 of 111 materials. It still saves out at over 8.5 Mb which seems extremely excessive for as simple as this model is. I expect a lot of that can be blamed on those images in the ‘Picture’ scene.

There are quite a few vieports with modified scenes. This may not have anything to do with crashes but modifying scenes for viewports does create problems and there’s really no reason you should have to make them modified in the first place.

I see in the references more than 30 PNG files which don’t appear to be used in the plan document. They could be causing crashes, too. I purged the LO file after purging the SketchUp file which reduced the file size to about 9.2 Mb.

I think there are a couple of things that will help. Keep your models cleaner and avoid creating viewports with modified scenes.

I am puzzled by the way you are using layers in LayOut, too. I think a change to your layer setup would go a long way to making your files easier to manage.

Since your LO document includes your address, you might want to edit your post with the Drop Box link and remove it.

Thank you for your feedback! I am stumped on the number of PNG files when my logo only has 3 of them! I am having to rethink my layering and scene strategy. I thought the same thing about the JPG images and I could do without them!

However, I have some questions to help me plan the strategy concerning layers vs scenes. If I have a front face of a cabinet assembled together and each part are components. I would like to show each part showing all standard views. I do it in three ways…

The first way is to add a scene of the entire face and name it Exploded. All the parts are on Layer FACE so make a copy of them and place on Exploded layer. Change the copy to Layer Exploded too. Turn off the FACE layer. Separate your parts on layer Exploded. Update the Exploded. In layout, that is more view ports for each part.

Second way will be to just hide unwanted layers and everything on the same layer hidden and create a scene for each detailed part.

Third way would be to use section views and maybe fewer view ports.It is my understanding that we are limited to 16 sections?

Of the three ways, which would be the best in creating a smaller sized file.

It got long and I included some illustrations I can’t make public so I sent you a PM.

Come to my workshop and presentations at 3D Basecamp and we’ll go over it in more detail.

By the way, I deleted those images from the SketchUp file and did some other cleanup. Now the file size is down to about 2.7 Mb. That still seems high for this model but I think some more cleanup can be done and get it down further.

A little additional cleanup and it’s down to 0.9 Mb

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.