Layout crashes when rendering

Layout has been crashing lately when rendering. No idea why this is happening as it was not so much a problem as in the past. Please, SU developers, put some resources into fixing Layout. I don’t care about VR, or any of the fancy stuff. Just the basics, so I can produce decent construction drawings without the constant frustrations I experience with Layout. Sketchup is fantastic. Layout can surely be improved.

1 Like

Can you share a LayOut file in which this happens?

Are you still using SketchUp/LayOut 2019 as your profile indicates?

Perhaps not directly helpful regarding Layout crashes, but as another small stability data-point, I’ve experienced more frequent SU-2021-Pro crashes recently that involve a wider range of issues.

Before my SU crashes were largely related to my use of the component browser or similarly component focused. Now a much wider range of unrelated actions trigger a SU crash. My other MacOS (Catalina) apps have rarely ever crashed, it continues to be SU with increasing frequency. Wondering if other SU-2021 users have noticed similar instability ?

— UPDATE ----
Fewer SU crashes since downgrading my 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse driver from v1.70 → v1.6xx. Thank you to another forum member who mentioned his own SU crashes followed closely behind his update of 3D mouse driver to v1.7 as well. I think the 3D mouse driver was a significant factor in my increased SU-2021-Pro crashes. That said, SU even using the older 3D mouse drivers, SU crashes everytime I select a component using the text title from the component browser list instead of the component icon … every time … repeatable crashes under MacOS Catalina. Now that I’ve experienced this I try to remember to only grab a component’s icon not it’s text title from the component browser. When I am in a hurry and forget → CRASH.

The OP is on Windows usingSU Pro 2019 (according to his profile). You are on Mac and using a different SU version.

Personally, I still use Big Sur and Pro 21. I have found that to be a fairly stable combination.

As for general problems with LO being overloaded, that is an ongoing issue that has applied for years and looks as if it will apply for many more years to come. A nettle that is not being grasped (although, who knows? a spanking new version might suddenly land on us, maybe, perhaps, one day my prince will come…)

1 Like

I’m using SU 2021 pro. I just updated my profile to show that. My internet is too slow to share files. I will say that the file is 48,000 kb.
Thanks for all your comments.
T.

It’s usually not too difficult for me to track down what is causing LO to crash during rendering when I can look at the file. I guess I won’t be able to do that in this case.

1 Like

@DaveR Right now the crashing occurs about 50% of the time. If it gets worse or continues to aggravate me, I will reach out again and figure out a way to share the file. I have noticed you have helped out many people here over the years. Thank you so much for your generous support.

1 Like

Okay, today after experiencing further disruptions (crashes) while rendering in Layout, I embedded all scrapbook detail models and elements, then rendered the main floor plan one viewport at a time. That worked. If I avoid the “render models on page” command, I seem to be okay. What a labour intensive program though, it seems to me. If Layout ran more smoothly, quickly, I would be happy to pay more for it.

Use Dropbox. 48mb may take awhile but it’s a background operation. Letting folks see your file and how you are setting things up will likely help you significantly. 90% of the time, it is user workflow causing crashes and speed issues.

Otherwise, there is not much anyone can really do to help your situation.

2 Likes

Amen!

@Sonder @DaveR I may try again if I have the time to upload a version of my drawings where I have removed references to my client, etc. I initially uploaded files from dropbox but then had second thoughts and removed those as they contained personal and client information.
Thanks anyway for your suggestions.
T.

A2_Floor plans_ArchC - SUFORUM.layout (8.2 MB)
STUDIO_MODEL_V4.3 - SUFORUM.skp (5.6 MB)

@DaveR and @Sonder , I uploaded the layout and su files directly here. A fairly simple project (owner’s design). I dramatically reduced the file size by removing all unnecessary stuff. I now have a fully loaded model saved separately. (Kitchen, appliances, furniture etc.) You will see in Layout where I am primed to render the model after a small change in SU model. As I said earlier, if I render each layer separately, that seems to work fine. But if I use the “render models on page” command, LO crashes. One thought I had was to ungroup the viewports . (I had grouped up all the layers while I moved things around to get the placement how I wanted it on the page.) Can that affect rendering? If everything is grouped through different layers?
Thanks for considering my issue.
Regards
T.