Layout crashes at startup

graphic card drivers updated, cold reboot, but the problem persists…

Try renaming the LayOut folder here:
%LocalAppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2021
Rename ‘LayOut’ folder to ‘temp LayOut’ or similar.

I did that and it crashed again but this time for the first time with a bug report:

Rename the LayOut folder in the roaming, too.
Roaming is located here:
%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2021/

1 Like

That did the trick, up and running… Any idea what caused that?

Did you sent the prior crash report? Received a splat number?
I suspect an error in the German version in combination with the regional settings, it has had some issues in the past.

I sent the crash report but have not yet received a splat number… fyi I am actually using the English version with no German language pack installed… but windows still is German…

1 Like

I saw your post yesterday, but it looked like Dave and others had some suggestions.

I looked for your bugsplat, but couldn’t find it. If you see one of those again, make sure to enter your name and/or email address, so that I can then find the crash report.

Not sure why reseting the roaming files fixed things. My guess was that one of your recent LayOut files has problems, and when the welcome screen is drawn the creating of the thumbnail causes problems. If that’s what it was you could work around the problem by directly opening the file in File Explorer, to avoid showing a welcome screen.

I don’t think the running in English on a German system would cause a problem.

This option was tried by the OP and resulted in a crash, too…

Hey Colin, thank you for the tip but as already mentioned the click open also produced the crash… I sent the report as Oliver Scheifinger / o.scheifinger@gmail.com maybe you can find it? In case they are of interest I can provide the files deleted from the roaming…?

Thanks, found it now. We’re not back at work until Tuesday, and during Tuesday I’m traveling. I will see if any of the developers have suggestions, though I guess it’s less urgent now.

Yes it is not so urgent since everything is up and running, thank you!

Where do you find this folder?
My Layout has crashed about 200 times in the last week and I have to find a solution ASAP
Thanks

Hey, Mike recommended the following (which worked for me):

Rename the LayOut folder in the roaming, too.
Roaming is located here:
%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2021/

Best Oliver

My Layout 2021 crashes at startup after I updated to Window 11… I tried several suggestions in the forum but still not working… I hope somebody will provide me a tip…

Do you get Bug Splats? Are you sending them in with something to identify that they came from you?

What suggestions exactly?

Did you try repairing the installation of SketchUp and LayOut? Make sure you have the last release of SU2021, right click on the downloaded installer, and choose run as administrator. Then, if prompted, choose Repair.