Layout Keeps Crashing

Hi there guys,

I’ve just joined the forum. So, firstly, hey! I’ve been using sketchup and it’s add-ons for about 5 months now and absolutely love it.

One minor problem that keeps recurring. LAYOUT KEEPS CRASHING ON ME!

It happens when I try and choose a different scene of a model, or re-scale the model. They seem to be the main 2. It has also happened when I’ve been copying models or even saving the file.

It’s now impeding me doing work. I have a project due tomorrow and I can’t continue using Layout so a fast response/solution/any general help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards and many many many thanks in advance,

Joe

Welcome Joe.

The first question that comes to mind is, when you installed SketchUp and LayOut, did you do so correctly? That is, did you right click on the installer and choose Run as administrator? If not, or if you don’t remember, do that and choose the Repair option.

When it crashes, is there a Bug Splat? If so, are you sending them in?

Are your graphics drivers up to date?

It would be very helpful in diagnosing the problem if we could see the LayOut file. Could you share it? If it’s too large to upload here, you could upload to Drop Box and share the link. If you don’t want to share it publicly, send it to mevia a private message by clicking on my name and then “Message”.

Hi Dave,

I can’t see an option to run as administrator, I have done the repair as you said. I have been sending in the bug splats. I must have sent in 10+ over the last few days!

Would it be worthwhile uninstalling (again) and reinstalling and doing it as an administrator as you said?

All drivers are up to date. I have just double checked and am still getting the same problem!

I’m having trouble uploading the file and don’t use dropbox. I’ll try and send it to you privately to see if that works.

Thanks for your help!
Kind regards,

Joe

Run as administrator would be found when you right click on the installer file you got when you downloaded SketchUp .

IF you do uninstall and reinstall, you need to use Run as administrator. Do not log in as the system admin. Just use your normal log in.

When you sent the Bug Splats, did you include your name and/or e-mail address so they can be identified? Maybe someone from the LO team can look at the splats to see if there’s a common cause.

As for Drop Box, you can sign up for an account and get some free storage space. You might find it useful for other things, too.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that i’ll give it a try now.

I have been sending (most of) the bug splats with my name and email. I haven’t kept a tab of the numbers though unfortunately.

I also, being slightly dim, couldn’t see the message option when I clicked on your name or on your profile?

Best,

Try again for the private message. You might need to have three posts under your belt, first.

Hi Dave, still not seeing it unfortunately!

I sent you a message. Can you reply to it? Click on the B in the tan/pink circle in the upper right corner of the Forum window.

Hi Joe-

I see your bugsplat reports. Looks like SketchUp itself is crashing when trying to vector render your model. I can’t tell exactly what’s going wrong.

If you can share your file with me, I may be able to determine exactly where the problem is. In the meantime, try cleaning up your SketchUp model - purging unused textures, etc.

Thanks,
Marc

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.