Layout 2020 Tags Bug...?

I am really not telling anyone else how they should be working, this is just me exploring a new scene-less workflow for myself. Here I create a 2D vector line drawing to scale, with several views of an object. It’s a quick version just made to show the concept. I start by adjusting most of the options on one viewport so that when I make copies the choices are retained. There are some situations that I have not explored a solution for yet, but there are many ways to skin a cat… once you’ve herded them.

And here I edit the reference and update while the drawing retains all qualities.

I’m not trying to give you a hard time or argue with you but I would have had those first four views set up as scenes in SketchUp and distributed in LayOut in about the same time it took for you to set up the first viewport.

I think there are some applications for sceneless SketchUp models in LO so it’s a good thing that there are options available.

2 Likes

This is now visualised: the modified section is now slightly darker gray

Reading through this post of yours, it’s likely that it’s something that I’m doing then.

It hasn’t been frequent, I’ve been finalising a few projects since I first posted and haven’t experienced any repeat.

Hi @MikeWayzovski

I don’t quite understand what you mean by this. Can you show an example?

Kind regards

Mike

Mike, when the viewport has been modified you’ll see something like this.
Screenshot - 2_19_2020 , 6_08_13 PM
In this case the view of the model has been changed as has at least one Effect setting and the style. Also notice there is a Reset button displayed.

When the viewport is pristine from the SketchUp file it’ll look like this.
Screenshot - 2_19_2020 , 6_08_31 PM

Lighter gray and no Reset buttons.

2 Likes

Thank you @DaveR

Just want to make sure I don’t break the link with the Model, which I don’t seem to have done in 2020, even with changing the Styles and Tags in Layout.

Mike

Hi Mike, now with LO2020 there are not the same implications there were for modifying scenes in older versions. Some of the things we’d wanted to avoid changing in LO before, can now be set without any problem. I still prefer to create scenes in SketchUp to use in LayOut but now they are really just for camera position and basic scene setup.

Hi Dave

Yeah, that’s what I’m doing, setting up ‘key’ scenes for Plans, Sections and Elevations, and then creating different variations in Layout. Seems to work really well. I imagine it can help reduce the Sketchup file size too.

Yes. I think so. I’m finding I don’t need more than one style in the SketchUp file and I only need 1 scene for whatever number of stacked viewports I’m creating.

If I actually remembered to purge my models, that would help as well :grinning:

1 Like

I use TIG’s Purge All and have a keyboard shortcut set up for it.

That’s the one I downloaded and installed following your recommendation during the Dashed Lines tutorial you helped me with. It’s really good, I just need to get in the habit of using it.

1 Like

Yup, that’s one to have if you want some measure of control.

I also think the scene creation in SU is faster than setting up the viewports in Layout. Primarily the reason would be a template in LO that has preselected tags set visible (using a proxy) is not as consistent as having them setup in SU as you may add tags that are not set automatically into your LO template.

While the model will obviously bring in any new tags you set in SU into the LO viewport, the visibility control would again need to be reset in LO. It is far faster to simply render the scene as established in SU. Now if we could just get a scene manager that allows grouping scenes and/or multi-lined scene tabs, it would really help.

The feature of tag control in Layout is excellent for my detail process, especially when you have one off details for a particular project. Also for presentations to clients it really speeds things up.

3 Likes

+1.
This would be nice.

1 Like

Paul, I have experienced the issue you described in your original post. It’s frustrating and I’m not sure why it happens. However, next time it happens, try this: Select the viewport that’s misbehaving, go to the Tags tray and click the “Reset” button. That should reset all the tags so that their on/off status in LO matches their on/off status in SU. Then go ahead and set their on/off status as desired for your viewport.

Thanks.

I think my issue was connected to the problem I outllined here…

Thanks to @DaveR 's diagnostic I think I was able to get a better understanding of how the control of the model viewport in Layout works.

So far no problems.