Layout 2019 SLOW even after upgrading computer

I’ve been experiencing slow performance (choppy zooming, slow page transitions, choppy behavior when moving shapes, text boxes, viewports, etc) with layout while working on this project. I recently upgraded my computer and was hoping that this would be a vast improvement, however it seems to behave the same on either machine.

Changing viewports from hybrid to raster seems to make no difference. I purge unused files regularly. Maybe because my sketchup file is so large? Because I am stacking viewports?

Would anyone mind taking a look at my file and giving me some feedback? Any help appreciated!

Old computer specs: Asus Q504
Windows 10 home, 12GB Ram, Intel i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 620

New computer specs: Lenovo P53

• Intel® Core™ i9-9880H with vPro™ (2.30GHz, up to 4.80GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 Cores, 16MB Cache)
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
  • Display Type: 15.6" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, anti-glare, 500 nits, Dolby Vision™ HDR 400
  • Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 16GB)
  • Hard Drive: 1TB Solid State Drive PCIe-NVME OPAL2.0 M.2
  • Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB

Well it loaded in my phone pretty easy:

Even AR :slight_smile:

So there must be something in your setup in layout
Edit: there are no scenes in the attached SketchUp model, that would be my main suspect.
In order to use LayOut properly, specifically when stacking viewports, one must use scenes…

Purged components, then materials, that lightened the file by 40 MB. You had a ton of extra materials. Also there are some components that are really heavy. Dining room table, toilet, floor drain, maybe try simplifying those components. There are extensions which can do this for imported objects, might help.

He’s got scenes in there

I have 60 scenes in the model! Maybe they didn’t load on your phone?

I stand corrected, I do see them now!
Probably the workaround @rwamoore suggested will improve performance.

Whoa! Yup I sure did have a lot of extra garbage in there. Got the SU model down to 43.9mb from 88mb. On initial observation back in layout after updating the file reference, performance is a bit better, but not as good as I expected with my new graphics card, RAM, processor, etc.

Any other hot tips? Are you guys using “auto render” in the SU Model tray?

Have a look at these vids:

https://sketchupforprofessionals.com/5-layout-myths-webinar/

Look at the small components that are geometry heavy, and your terrain.

Try to simplify really geometry heavy stuff, wether you can see the lines or not they are there and eat cpu usage.

I think this is a silly thing to have to do with such a good computer setup, I’m not saying this isn’t a worthwhile thing to do but I feel like photoshop has WAYYY more responsiveness on huge files, files that I have not even come close to running in size on sketchup and layout and yet sketchup and layout with my very fast computer setup (which is not updated on my sketchucation profile) cannot even come close to being as responsive as a photoshop file that is double or even triple the size, I’m talking 700mb photoshop file that is way more responsive than a measly 100mb file size on a sketchup file that has scenes, is purged and used properly. It’s a bit of a joke isn’t it, how laggy sketchup and layout is for fast computers no? Maybe I’m missing something but I’m not impressed with sketchup response speeds while using the programs at all.