Layers not Hiding with Scene Transition


#1

Hello All,

I’m working with a file that I converted to a DWG from Revit. The model imported flawlessly, a bit jagged, but nothing too terrible, and I proceeded to delete all the Revit layers to build my own layer structure. I changed the Revit settings to ACIS Solids and then changed the layer option to “BIENTITY” instead of “BILAYER” which, I’ve found, creates a clean, grouped DWG file for SketchUp.

I put everything back on Layer 0 and exploded and regrouped, and moved to new layers as needed. Now I’m getting to the point where I’m adding scenes for the designers working on this particular project and for some reason when I hide a layer for one scene is overrides and settings on other scenes. I can hide the roof and ceiling layers for a Floorplan scene but when I go back to the Lounge scene the layers are still hidden. The same thing happens in the other direction - the Floorplan scene now has the Roof and Ceiling covering everyhting up.

Normally this doesnt happen - I can hide layers in one scene and they repopulate in other scenes. I’m guessing something to do with the fact that I changed all the Revit layers to a new system and that’s confused SketchUp?

Any Advice on this?

Thanks,

T.


#2

Without seeing the SKP file, it’s difficult to tell but it sounds to me as if you still have your layers screwed up. Are all faces and edges on Layer 0 where they should be?

Another thing I wonder is if you are updating the scenes with the layer states (on/off) set as you want them?

Seeing the model will tell all. Could you share it? If you don’t want to share it publicly, you could send it to me via Private Message.


#3

I will check on your suggestions about the layer states. Unfortunately this is all confidential stuff. But my guess is that even though I deleted the layers and selected the “move to current layer” the geometry within all the groups is still not going to layer 0. I’ve read how Revit can do that.

I’m working on mac and the way I usually do scenes is I add the first one. Then I just right click the toolbar and add the new scenes - after I’ve edited layers and such.

If that’s not correct and if you have any advice I’m all ears.


#4

There are various extensions such as TIG’s Layer Watcher and my own Layer Zero Fixup tools (both available free from the SketchUcation store) that can assure all edges and faces are associated with Layer0. If you are unsure whether you got all the layer associations right, you could try one of those.

I also use a Mac, and there is nothing wrong with adding scenes the way you do. But, you must be sure to update each scene after you make any changes that you want saved with that scene (and also make sure in the Scenes Window that you have checked the box(es) to save those properties on that scene). If you are not careful with these aspects, changes you make on one scene may carry across to others.


#5

Yep that fixed it. Unfortunately the other designers have set all their scenes now in the shared file so I now have to go through and audit them to optimize performance.

I went into the scenes window and discovered that none of the settings were checked - i.e. Visible Layers, Active Sections, etc. I set a custom template a while back so that’s probably where I went wrong. I will run through a couple tests tonight just to confirm all this.

Thanks for your help guys!

T.


#6

Be sure that you always have Layer0 set to be the active layer.
Another thing is that ‘Add Scene’ uses the current scene’s set of ckecked boxes in the scene manager for the new scene. So ‘Add Scene’ may give you different results when starting from scene1 than starting from say scene7. If all derive from scene1 without making changes somewhere along the line, then they should have equal settings.


#7

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.