Keyboard shortcut for Zoom to selection?

Zooming in on the thing I’m working on is never easy. I’m always zooming in slowly, then warp drive miles away. Sometimes I end up so far away from my target object, I can’t fathom how I got there.

The zoom to selection command is helpful, but it would be even more helpful if there was a key command. I tried to set one up in Preferences, but couldn’t find Zoom to Selection. I saw a YouTube video where this person was setting up keyboard shortcuts, and the menu looked a whole lot more helpful. I can’t seem to find that menu screen though. And is there a way to adjust the “near clipping” setting? I can’t zoom in close enough, the object I’m trying to work on disappears.

Also, I would like some more options for selecting things, like Expand Selection (by one more polygon), and Select Inverse. I have been working on a model done by someone who didn’t group anything. It’s real frustrating trying to separate the pieces.

Thanks!

I use Zoom window, I believe I have never used Zoom selection.
Usually if you are in parallel mode or you are far from origin you get the clipping issue.

You can make a keyboard shortcut for Zoom Selection. Select something in the model and then open Preferences>Shortcuts and filter for ‘Zoom’. You’ll find it available to set.

As with most commands in the Context menu, you need to have a selection that would cause that menu item to appear to access it in Shortcuts.

3 Likes

Have you installed ThomThom’s Selection Toys extension ?

Yes, but Select Inverse is not an option. Most options select much more than I want to select.

Thanks.

TIG’s Selection Hide/Show.

Does this Zoom to Selection exist in Layout 2018?

THanks

Hello,

I personnaly combine hide rest of model and zoom extend, that I described there Some questions, paralell, select, group - #15 by paul.millet

If you group each element composing your model as you should and use the default shortcut for zoom extend, It speeds up the workflow !

It’s my method, but there are others !

Expanding the selection by one more polygon was being discussed in the following topic…

P.S. I am almost done with creating the tool and probably going to launch it today or tommorow.

Not in LayOut.

Is “zoom to selection” a pro-only feature or new to 2018?
(I can’t find it in my available shortcuts menu - in Make 2017
Thanks,
Mike

You have to have something selected first, then you should see it as an option in the Shortcuts preferences.

Zoom%20Selection

Edit: Dave told you this over 2 years ago in the 3rd post of this thread before Make 2017 came out.

1 Like

As I wrote in the 2nd reply in this thread:

1 Like

sorry, you’re completely right. My fault.

Amazing. Thanks so much to both of you