Keyboard short cuts

G’day guys and gals, I am not a regular SU user, although been using it since 2001, version 2 or something like that. Just downloaded 2017 and need to redo my personal shortcuts. I can’t remember were to find it anymore. Can anyone tell me.
Thanks in advance.

Go Window/Preferences/Shortcuts

In passing…

With v2017 installations under newer Win set ups there have been some reports of missing or non-enduring shortcuts…
This was found to be down to the incorrect initial installation of v2017.
If you find this issue, or you are uncertain of the correctness of your installation [as that can cause all sorts of other weirdness !], then close SketchUp and find the v2017 installer’s exe file [probably in your Downloads folder?] or just re-download it.
Select the installer exe file’s icon, right-click > context-menu > “Run as administrator”, when prompted choose “Repair”.
This should fix things.
In the rare cases where it does not, just repeat the above steps, but choose “Uninstall” rather than doing the repair, then immediately reinstall using the above steps… this really should fix things but you will have now lost some personalization of the set up…

It is not sufficient to “Run” any installer’s exe, or double-click on it to launch it, even if you have admin-powers or are even logged in as the administrator, it is not the same operation, and subtle differences can occur, causing all kinds of unexpected and unpredictable flakiness…

I just noticed @FilipK1 is a Mac user. Things can be different on a mac.

OK, in that case ignore all of my PC related diatribe - although any visiting PC users should heed the advice :wink:

2 Likes

Mac SU is also supposed to automatically copy the shortcuts from your previous version during installation without any explicit action on your part. Have you checked whether that happened? It isn’t clear from your post whether your shortcuts are actually missing, or that you are assuming this is something you have to do manually similar to reinstalling plugins.

Your shortcuts are kept in a file named Shortcuts.plist. Each version keeps a copy of this file in its own per-user folder so that they don’t clash if you have multiple versions of SU installed. Since the acquisition of SketchUp by Trimble and version 2013 the plist file is kept in

/Users/yourname/Library/Application\ Support/SketchUp\ year/SketchUp/Shortcuts.plist

where “yourname” needs to be replaced by your actual userid and “year” needs to be replaced by the version year. The backslashes are needed in Terminal to preserve spaces in names, but not in the Finder. Also please note that your Library folder is hidden by default in Finder and is not the same as the system’s /Library folder. You can get to your personal Library folder using Finder’s Go->Go To Folder and entering ~/Library.

If you are updating to 2017 from a pre-2013 version, that might be why your previous shortcuts were lost (I don’t know how far back the import will look). Before then Google used the path

/Users/yourname/Library/Application\ Support/Google\ SketchUp\ version/SketchUp/Shortcuts.plist

where version needs to be replaced by your specific version.

Wow, what fantastic replies. Haven’t been on a SU forum for a very long time. Thanks guys, really appreciated.
I only had a few personal short cuts, so it wasn’t a massive drama.
I used SU mostly to aid me with handyman work, like gazebo’s, sundecks etc. always loved it and was great in getting me the job over others. In the old days I used my Friday nights to just design things with a glass of wine. That’s how much I loved playing with it.
Awesome to see the forum is so alive and well as always.
Cheers
FilipK

Sketchup won’t let me create any shortcuts, and when I follow the library to where the plist is supposed to be stored, there is no plist file. Do you know how I can create one on a Mac?

This topic is four years old, and some locations are different now. For SketchUp 2018 the shortcuts are stored in this file:

~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/SharedPreferences.json

Thanks. I can find that file in 2020, but still can’t seem to modify it. Any ideas why I can’t modify or save shortcuts?