Jagged lines witlh 4K monitor

I recently got a new 4K monitor (3840x2160 pixel resolution). However, rather than getting a lot of detail with nice smooth lines I see very jagged lines (like the higher resolution is just showing me the jaggedness). Anyone know a way to fix this?

I am running a Dell XPS 15 9530 with Windows 8.1 64 bit
NVIDIA GeForce GT750M 2 GB RAM
Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ CPU @ 2.20GHz 4 Cores
16 GB RAM

I set Preferences>OpenGL to Anti-Aliasing 4x, but it reverts to 2X.
In NVidia control panel, Adjust Image Settings, I have it set to “Let the 3D application decide”

Thanks for any help.

Hello Huck,

Make sure the graphics driver is up to date … Download The Latest Official GeForce Drivers

Have you tried using the NVidia control panel to set the anti isotropic filtering to higher value vs letting the app set it> I can set mine to 16x. That will not remove jaggies but should make much better. BTW at that high resolution font size will probably be small also.

Hi George,

Thank you for the reply. I have automatic updates on the NVIDIA and did an update recently.

I made another adjustment in the NVIDIA control panel:

Under “Manage 3D settings” on line 1. selected SketchUp and on line 2. Selected NVIDIA (otherwise it used the on board graphics).

This helped a little.

I have a 38” Seiki monitor.

The Dell XPS 15 has a 15” screen with 3200x1800 resolution. That resolution proved to be a problem because I can’t see menu text on the screen for most programs. It is too small because the text size is set in pixels and most programs don’t let you adjust it and Windows has some adjustments but they don’t work on all programs. So I run it at 1920x1080. In both resolutions lines look very smooth. However, the pixel density (in dpi) is much higher than on the 38” monitor.

Pixel density on XPS15 with 15.6” diagonal screen at 1920x1080 is 141 dpi, at 3200x1800 is 235 dpi.

The Seiki monitor with 38” diagonal screen at 3840x2160 is 116 dpi.

There is not a big dpi difference between the Dell screen at 1920x1080 and the Seiki at 3840x2160, but the Dell looks a lot better.

Huck

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried this. It didn’t seem to be any better. I noticed that SketchUp had Preferences>OpenGL set to Anti-Aliasing 4x, which previously wouldn’t change from 2x, after I set NVIDIA control panel to force use of the NVidia card rather than integrated graphics, which it was choosing before.

It’s better now but still not as good as the XPS15’s screen and still with noticeable, but less, jaggedness.

Hi
I have been using the dell for a month, it is so much better and able to cope with larger skp files without the terrible waits I had on my old machine.
I think the ssd drive is the main boost.
I agree I only use the screen in the 2048 by 1152 mode due to font size and my eyesight!
I want to buy a monitor, 27 or 32 primarily for skp and graphics is a 4k monitor a good option for the xps?
also can you recommend a dock the dell one is not on sale in the uk.
Sorry to ask all the questions but I was pleased to find this thread when researching 4k monitors.

I am using a 38" 4K Seiki monitor that I bought on line. It was pretty cheap. I have it for quite a while now.
I like it a lot. Definitely get 4K with a large monitor. with the small screen I don’t think 4K is really worth it. 38" is definitely useful with 4K but I might have liked to try 2 smaller monitors (but maybe can’t attach to the XPS) so as to angle them differently.
However, SketchUp is limited in its ability to take advantage of the high resolution (the reason for this topic0.
The 4K is more important for something like Photoshop.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it, I am leaning towards 2 smaller 27 inch monitors,
I am sure the xps can drive them but I think only 1 can be the full 4k.
Sketchup is my main use and I just need a lot more screen space than the 15" xps.
Thanks again