I tried to download the Utilities Tool extension mentioned in a post I’m subscribed to. In the process I got the message that I must login. Fair enough; I tried to login. I then got a message saying there was something wrong with my email/pw pair. On trying again, I got a message saying that “something went wrong” so I tried using the Forgot My PW route assuming I had the wrong PW stored. I got the message “something went wrong” again. I’m certain that I used the correct email addy each time. I’m running Version 16.1.1449 64-bit.
I think the problem must be with the extension warehouse server(s) at their end.
I’m posting to 1) let Trimble know and 2) find out if others have similar problems.