Is it possible to stop the 'camera' from swooping in animations?

Is it possible to turn off the dramatic (and gratuitous?) ‘swooping’ action of the viewpoint in animations? I am trying to replicate the action of a telescopic periscope, for which I need the camera to switch from perspective to two-point midway through. I managed to ditch the swoop at the start of the sequence by simply deleting the initial scene. It is proving annoyingly tenacious mid-scene however.

The model is in the warehouse as: Periscope animation

From Window> Model info>Animation

Also so shot you a model of doors swinging in your other post…

Sorry, I don’t understand what you are saying. Is this a link of some kind?

As for the " swooping " motion you mentioned with the scenes, it is not a link but a SU feature… if you are on a PC. From Windows tab select Model Info and then animation. This will let you turn if OFF totally or Increase the duration in the amount of seconds it takes. Yes I agree, for your needs it is a bit annoying. Down the road if your doing landscapes or three or four buildings in a court yard setting. You can incorporate the time delay through 3 different scenes // changing the viewed angle in each // to create a panoramic sweeping concept. So if you are zoomed in to see all the details you applied in one building… the camera losses the others ~ out of view. This will allow you to flow through it and gives you control of the camera. Instead of basically three or four image scenes.

This link is for a guy named Chris Fullmer he does plug-ins and other stuff for SU. If you have time watch his 15 minutes of what he can do with layers and scenes. I don’t know to what depth you plan on using SU but it will show there is more to it then just ON // OFF. If you are to work commercially “SHOWING OFF YOUR WORK” instead of a simple slide show, this may help you. If you look for the 3D Basecamps videos they have very knowledgeable folks showing off AS THEY EXPLAIN IT. It may give you some insight or trigger ideas you want to pursue …Peace…

Thanks. If you look at my model in the warehouse (Periscope animation) you will see where this ‘swooping’ happens, just as the camera switches from perspective to two-point. I am pretty familiar with the operation of scenes/transitions and the feature of being able to cut down the delay between scenes. Guess I’m probably asking too much of Sketchup on this one?

I’ll have a gander at your link anyway. Cheers.

I forgot: is this chap using Sketchup Pro here?

it actually switches to Parallel Projection?
john

It does not matter they are specific features of SU, functioning the same in the free or the Pro editions. I opened the Periscope animation in the Warehouse …

I have them set to Front as for the view and toggling from Two Point Perspective to standard Perspective they remain stationary. It is when toggling Parallel Perspective into the mix is when it is as if it zooms closer to you. I believe it is an element of the camera itself… As if you were holding the camera and shooting out of a window. Then climbed out of the window onto a ledge and shot the same item. It is the physical location of the camera changing not just a lens aspect. There is info on them in reading about Match Photos.

http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/54746
Found this as in a better // any explanation of why it does this. Basically it is the camera`s location changing not the image and all I can find to explain…
As I am learning a complete and accurate explanations on this I cannot provide but in viewing or more like in sighting in a target. Rotating upward is fine, it is when you rotate down that it grays out as if you are dropping below the ground plane of the origin. Just tring to understand what you after or trying to prevent.

As you will know: when looking at a distant object through a (real) telescope the relationship between the objects you are viewing will be different from how they would appear if you were standing physically closer to them. This is a phenomenon of natural perspective. In essence: everything appears flatter, closer together and of more equal (relative) size. Yes, I want to achieve this effect, hence the switching from perspective to two-point. If you run the animation, however, you will see that the camera lurches back out at the point where I shift to the two-point view. This is what I need to get rid of. You can do this easily at the start of a sequence by ditching the first scene. This approach does not work mid-animation however.

check and update all the cameras and it seems to work…

john