Is anyone successfully using Latest AMD Radeon "Crimson" driver with Sketchup 2016

I had been successfully using SU 2016 since Dec 2015. All good until Adobe Illustrator prompted me to update the driver for my AMD Radeon HD 8790M graphics card.

Now, SketchUp crashes as soon as I hit the “start using now” button on the splash screen. I can get it to run (poorly) with the built in “Intel 4600” graphics by disabling the AMD card.

System is Windows 7, 64 bit, SP1. New driver is “Radeon Settings Version 2015.1204.1216.22046” I guess this is called “Crimson”

I have been passing the “Bug Splats” through.

Are their any Radeon settings that I can change to overcome this?

I having been able to roll back the the driver. I can’t find the earlier version now. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver, and SketchUp multiple times. I tried manually deleting registry settings with Regedit. I tried using the AMD clean-uninstall tool. I tried turning off OpenGL using the “SU_OGL_Config.exe”

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Hi-

I looked up your bugsplat reports, and I can confirm that you’re crashing in the ATI driver (atig6pxx, to be exact) (Crash report 29475)

There are some threads here about troubleshooting video card issues… My naive suggestion would be to attempt to revert to an earlier driver if that’s a possibility.

Thanks,
Marc

Marc,

Thank you for the reply. I have looked through the some of the threads, which is how I discovered the SU OGL Config tool. I am not sure I have seen a resolution where a user was able to stay with SU 2016 and the updated driver. I have submitted a request to AMD to see if they can offer anything. In the meantime, I haven’t been able to find the earlier driver on AMD’s website.

Larry

You still have your older driver. You can roll back your driver through the device manager.

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers > Device Manager. In the Device Manager, open Display adapters. R-click on the graphic card and choose Properties. You will get a dialog with a roll back button.

Thank you. I did try to roll-back through the device manager and encountered an error message. After that the roll back option no longer appeared. Later I used an AMD cleanup utility to attempt to get the new driver going. The utility was supposed to remove any vestiges of any previous drivers.

Does anybody know an alternative place to obtain an older driver?

Previous AMD Display Drivers:
Windows 10 x64
Windows 10 x32
Windows 8.1 x64
Windows 8.1 x32
Windows 8.0 x64
Windows 8.0 x32
Windows 7 x64
Windows 7 x32

Thank you! I looked, but never figured out a way to navigate to this.

I am still hoping that I can eventually use the current driver that Adobe Illustrator wants. I will share anything I hear back from AMD here.

I did roll back to the previous (“Catalyst”) driver/software. I was able to open SketchUp, so I got that far. BTW, this was the same advice that AMD provided in response to my support request.

Thanks