Inches only Not Feet (Paid Web Shop Version)

I have found this topic many times on the forum but the solutions offered there are either inaccurate or don’t work any more. I am using the paid subscription shop tier of sketchup. I would like to use fractional inch dimensions instead of feet + inch dimensions. How is this possible

Currently it isn’t possible to display dimensions in only fractional inches. You can enter dimensions that way as you are working but they will still be displayed in feet and inches. There has been a request made to add Fractional Inches to the choices and there’s hope it will be added someday.

BTW, your profile says you are using the free web version, not Shop. Maybe you could update your profile.

Thanks for the quick response. This, to me, is quite pathetic on the part of Trimble. It is such a simple feature to implement and one that was available on older versions of Sketchup.

I agree!!! How hard can it be???

There are 195 countries in the world. Three of them use inches.

3 Likes

Well…. You are right of course. But I wonder how the question breaks down in terms of SketchUp market share? And after all, SketchUp and Trimble are both US founded US based. Display in inches feels like a pretty valid request.

Because fractional inches are available in all desktop versions I have to conclude that leaving the setting out of the web version was a deliberate decision. But I have no insight into the reason.

2 Likes

I know. But the decision (by the original creators) to use inches as the behind scenes base unit seems to me to have somewhat crippling effects on some SketchUp functions.

1 Like

This appears to be a bug to me.
If you select ‘Fractional inches’ on the default template you get inches.
If you use the Model info picker you get feet and inches.
@xturgorex @slbaumgartner do you see different behaviour to what I describe above please?