Inadvertently creating layers with Entity Info box

I like to keep the Entity Info box open while I work, but I keep creating layers when after selecting a group or entity to edit and then using a keyboard shortcut, the keyboard shortcut “r” (for rectangle) becomes the name of a new layer and the entity selected ends up on that new layer. As the entity is selected, somehow the “Layer” is selected and the keystroke for the shortcut replaces the name of the layer in the Entity Info box. This does not always happen and I cannot figure out what is causing this or what I might be doing. For now, I have resorted to closing the Entity Info box and this avoids placing random entities on new cryptic, rogue layers.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

if you use ‘Entity Info’ to add the new ‘Layer’ you have to click back into the model view to change the focus…

hitting return doesn’t do that…

john

I am not sure I understand your response.
This happens to me and then I notice it later after it has happened. I see a few single letter layers that have entities on them. It is a pain to correct as I intend for all my new entities to go on layer 0. But some groups that have been placed on designated layers are being changed too. I wish I new what behavior I am doing that needs to change.

there are two ways to add Layer names on a mac, in ‘Entity Info’ or in ‘Layers’ panel…
I was reporting a known issue with using ‘Entity Info’ to add new layer names…

if that’s not your issue, how are you adding new Layer names normally?

john

I use the plus symbol from the Layer box

If you have a skp file or case when this occurs it may help to post it here in.
Have you checked the short cut key to make sure it ahs not been reassigned to different function or maybe you have bad key, try changing to another unused one, try resetting work space , just some SWAGs

@4hotshoez I just checked this, and it sounds like the most likely scenario. I was able to replicate your issue by changing the layer in the entity info dialog =>then pressing “r” to switch tools=> clicking on the drawing to draw the rectangle=> realizing it wasn’t working=> pressing “r” again.

What happens is after changing the layer in the entity info box, if you just hit a shortcut, your layer is still selected in the entity info dialog. The click to draw changes the focus back to the model window. When you press the shortcut again, since the focus is now in the model window, it changes the tool like you would expect.

If this isn’t why it’s happening, please give us some more information. I hope this helps.

there is also a third that I avoid like the plague…
If you use the Layers ‘box’ in your ‘Custom Toolbar’ and it has ‘focus’ it not only adds new Layer, but switches the ‘Active Layer’…
It’s also very hard to escape from, and can keep adding/changing layers, without you noticing…

If you have that, remove it now…

also, do you have any ‘Layer’ extensions/plugins active?

john

I do not use the Layers box in the custom toolbar as the current layer is always set to “Layer 0”. BTW, I wish SU would just call it “0” so it would stay at the top of the list.

This may be it. I will try to emulate this scenario.

Hello,

I also get very often undesired layers by forgetting to click back in the main window after changing the layer in the info box. That’s enough to use a keyboard shortcut to do so. You don’t even notice straight away as you are focusing on the model. Once you find out you have to restart the exact procedure by selecting the object, changing its name + canceling the wrongly created layer… Totally counter productive!

What Is the goal to keep the layer’s name selected once you have chosen a new one?

Is there any trick to avoid the layer’s name to remain selected after you hit enter on the keyboard?

Unfortunately, no. It’s been that way on Mac for a long time (as long as I’ve owned a Mac, which is over four years), repeatedly reported as a bug, or at least a very undesirable feature, and it still isn’t fixed. I’ve done it too, far too often. It happens with component names too - I often find I have components named r, t, q etc.

using Ruby is the only possible option I’m aware of…

a modified version of @TIG’s LayerWatcher extension could be ‘Shortcut aware’ and flag it as it happens…

john

Hmm! I have no clue of how to use Ruby :frowning:

Maybe I found another way by using TIG-Set_Layer with a keyboard shortcut when it’s time to change layer. There is no prediction on the layers’ name as the info box, but there is a dropdown list which is already good!

I will see if it helps the workflow.

Aren’t there others who are really annoyed by this persistent selection?

Would it be so difficult to change for the dev team?

I can say I’m really annoyed by this. So much time lost cleaning up nested objects on layers named after your keyboard shortcuts.

Is there another way to assign objects to layers? I really hate interacting with the Entity Info palette.

Are you actually using SketchUp Shop? This behavior has been changed in the latest version of Sketchup, much to the dismay of many like me who liked the old way.