Imports are coming in upside down

Hi.
Recently in the past week all my components and objects that I import into my models are importing upside down. I know how to flip them which is not a big deal. I have heard that you can right click the axis to try to reset it but this problem has been happening with multiple project files I have done in the past couple weeks.

When I try to save groups to export as dae files to import into other rendering software they are importing upside down and off axis to the origin. That is the big problem.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

Brad

Can you share a SketchUp file in which this is happening?

The common reason for this is that your main model is upside down or you have the axes inverted. The other possibility is that the components you are importing were modeled upside down. It’s hard to tell exactly what you’ve got going on without seeing your file, though.

Thanks so much for the quick response Dave.

It’s the end of the week and the file is back at the office. I will send it to you on Monday. The thing is… is that imports are upside down in other seperate skp models as well which makes me think its a setting or preferences issue.

Have a good weekend

Brad

1 Like

Good morning Dave

I am getting back to you about my skp project where images and components are importing inverted.

I sent a link from my dropbox with the address that was linked in your last email response.

Let me know if you receive it. I am unaware of how to get a file of that size to you any other way.

Thanks alot

Brad

You could have dropped it here for a few other people in case Dave is having a life for a few minutes.

Brad, I never saw the link. Last I knew you were going to send it on Monday but I haven’t seen it.

I’m not sure what e-mail address you are referring to either.

Ok. So how can I get it to you from my Dropbox? or do you have some cloud or link I can send it to?

You can share the link in a reply in this thread. If the file isn’t something you can share publicly, click on my name at the top of this reply and then “Message” and send the link in a private message.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Lumen

I think you need to change the permissions. When I follow your link it takes me to my DropBox site and tells me the file doesn’t exist.

Dropbox gives me permission to share to a particular e-mail

write out in this thread your email and I will paste and send it from there

Without even having looked at the model I strongly suspect you’ve accidentally orbited the camera in such a way you view the model upside down.

Do you have a sky color and ground color that could indicate what is up? If not you can switch to a style that has.

1 Like

You can give someone a link for A DropBox folder. Send it to them in a private message here. Some people do not want to put their email address on a forum. Look for “create link” in DB under “Share”, “copy link” etc.

This Message was originally for DaveR

Thanks

Imports are coming in inverted and off axis.
Thanks

Model attached

Reset the axis as it is upside down.
Reset

6 Likes

Box beat me to it but it’s no wonder your components are coming in upside down. Solid blue should be pointing up, not down.

As I said four days ago…

It wouldn’t hurt to purge your model of the unused stuff in it.
Screenshot%20-%205_21_2019%20%2C%209_20_31%20PM

2 Likes

Ok I don’t know how to make the blue point up. I have tried to reset the axis and that’s all I know. I also have the CleanUp extension that purges and am not aware of a better method

Right click on the axis line and choose Reset as Box shows in his GIF.

I used TIG’s Purge All which gives the report I showed, above. You can also just go to Window>Model Info>Statistics and click Purge Unused. It won’t give the report but it’ll take care of the unused junk.

I have the same problem I think. My ground is at the bottom, and the sky at the top, but my blue axis points down. I have tried flipping the model over several times, and tried resetting the axis, but the blue line still likes to point down.

Share a sample SketchUp file that shows this so we can see what you are working with.