I’m using SketchUp Make 2016 and trying to create some models for a friend which involves using some DAE files. I’ve attempted to import two different DAE files and both fail to import. I see the progress window and somewhere around the 5% mark it just fails and reports that it failed and does not give any details.
In the options of the import I also tried turning off the two options, still the import fails.
I was going to attach two DAE files but I don’t understand how to attach the files to my post.
I also have a few MAX files but they are not seen when I try the import and in the dropdown for the file type MAX is not present.
Anssi, much thanks for the info!
I also discovered I can drag-n-drop to the forum. Following are the two files I’m trying to import. DL422N shelf.DAE (2.3 MB)
Ops I was able to upload only one file. I’ll try another append to the thread.
Perhaps I have success. The ZIP file I tried also had a DWG file in it. I just used 7zip and it is much smaller.
OH Darn I cannot upload a 7z file.
OH ■■■■ I cannot upload a RAR file either. Gondola 96H x 22-22-jgt.zip (2.8 MB)
AH, I had to install WinZip and now it works.
slbaumgartner-No I just unzipped it using WinRAR.
The ZIP files I received are too large for me to attach to the forum. How do I get around this?
Ops I did find one original zip file that is small.DL422N shelf.zip (260.4 KB)
I’ve unzipped each of the files you managed to attach here, and I can’t open any of them using any utility on my Mac. I’m thinking, as @Anssi wrote earlier, that these were exported by something that uses dae in a non-standard way.
I took a look at the DL422N shelf.dae using a text editor (.dae is just a specific XML variety, so readable as text). I notice that the first data in the file is an array that says it has 50082 elements yet there are actually over 66000 provided! I think the file is seriously defective!
Edit: Oops! I missed a tag while examining the file. What I wrote above is wrong. Continuing to look…
I then imported the DAE file into Blender. Here is another learning curve. When I opened Blender there was a BIG cube in the window and I was unable to delete it. I’ll worry about that later (more learning curve)
I then imported the DAE file. It looks a bit weird but I pressed on.
In Blender I then exported to a new DAE file.
In SketchUp I then imported the new DAE file. Wow it seemed to work
I then deleted the cube that I originally saw in the Blender window and rotated the remaining unit and it looks GOOD.
I’m glad you found a workaround. On further perusal of the sample file, I found that it passes its triangle data as a single enormous line of text instead of breaking it up one line per triangle. That saves file size (no line feeds), but it’s possible that the line is longer than some dae readers can manage.
That DAE file has all of its image files missing, and is defective - it won’t import.
I suspect this is related to your parallel post you have regarding an issue with a 3ds file and image use - the PNG files share the same names !
This is what I see if I Preview your DAE on my Mac. It looks to me as if the geometry is itself ok, but the plain gray appearance is consistent with what @TIG noted about missing images, and SU import complains about missing textures.