Importing dae-file fails

Is this a bug that needs dealing with then?

I took a look at the DAE file (it is just xml, viewable with any editor). Once again, the core data is contained in an array of floats expressed in a single immensely long line. My suspicion, as before, is that this line is too long for whatever technique the importer uses to read the file and that causes the import to fail.

If I am right, yes that is a bug and should be fixed. I’m adding the bug tag to this topic.

Hi,

I too have this issue with some .dae files. This one wont load up, whereas I have imported other .dae models from this program straight into Sketchup. Any ideas why? (I’ll try to create a file that does import and see what difference there is)

Slender.zip (703.9 KB)

Here is an example file which does import without failing. I’ve tried both files in SU Pro 2016 and 2017 and they behave the same.

test export.dae (1.4 MB)

The first one failed for me, too. The second one created a splat.

For me, both complain about a missing texture and fail to import as a result, but the second also causes a BugSplat.

The Slender.dae file contains polygons instead of triangles. There should be some way for you to export the file as triangles and not polygons (which might help).

I think that this is the same problem I ran into when I was trying to create my snowflake. A face bounded by 30,000+ edges seems to bomb out. I believe that there was a bug report created in this regard.

Thanks jimhami. I doubt I can change the polygons into triangles using the native program (ngplant), but would i be able to do that inside blender do you know?

I tried importing slender.dae into MeshLab and it crashed:

The debugger shows this:

Not terribly helpful, although it might be indicative of a buffer overrun (which points back to having too many somethings in the file).

Thanks for suggesting this-- I was having problems with a DAE exported from 3dsMax, tried re-exporting with Blender, success. :grinning: