Import AutoCAD or 3D Max

I’m about to get some AutoCAD and 3D Max files from a client and would like to import either/both into SketchUp, they are 3D models and just importing them as 2D drawings I loose too much. So far all the postings I’ve seen for importing AutoCAD is great for floor plans but I have not seen anything for 3D drawings. Am I missing something? Can I import the 3D Max files?

If the files are 3D dxf or dwg, SketchUp will import them as 3D.

What comes in when importing a DWG file depends on what is inside. A 2D drawing will import as a 2D drawing, and a 3D model as a 3D model.
As to 3DS Max, the file has to be exported from there in a format that SketchUp can read. Collada (DAE) is supported by all SketchUp versions, DWG, OBJ and 3DS only by the Pro version. The Max format is proprietary to 3DS Max and it cannot be read by any other software. Even available commercial file translators require that you have a licensed copy of 3DS Max installed to be able to process Max files.

Anssi

1 Like

Your profile indicates you are using SketchUp Make. SketchUp Pro will give you the option to import a variety of CAD as well as 3D Max files (.3ds). If you are using SketchUp in your work for clients, you should be using SketchUp Pro anyway.

1 Like

3DS is an antiquated format used by the old DOS version of 3D Studio in the last century. 3DS Max has its own format (.max) that, as said, is intelligible only to the application itself.

Anssi

So, I moved the thread to the Pro category.

@jgt1942 Ref the User Guide:

John, pay particular attention to:

1 Like

Ops, sorry but I did not state, I’m NOT using the PRO version of SketchUp. However I will look at the links provided and see if they will resolve my issue. Thanks!

As I said before, since you are doing work for clients, you should be using SketchUp Pro which would give you all sorts of import options. SketchUp Make is not to be used for commercial work.

1 Like

This is the only client I will have and the only project I will be doing for him. I normally do woodworking (this is just a hobby for me) for myself but as a favor I’m doing this project for a friend.