I need help with floor tiles texture

Hello, first time posting here, and English is not my first language so please overlook my bad grammar, thank you!

Anyway, I’m having a problem with my marble floor texture. As you can see in the image, my floor has very clear lines between each “tiles” that make it’s weird to look at.
Is this a problem at my end, or it’s a problem with the texture diffuse itself? I use a custom made VRMAT that I found online, so I’m not sure about the root of the problem.
Is there any way I can do to fix this?

Sorry if the image looks a bit weird overall. I’m a self-learner and this is my 3rd project so things may look off.

I will be grateful for any help you can provide!

It looks like the sort of thing you would expect when the texture isn’t seamless. And you are seeing the necessary repetition of the image because the area the texture is set up to cover is smaller than the surface you are trying to cover with it.

Do you want the floor to look like it is made up of tiles or do you want it to look like it is made of one huge piece of marble?

1 Like

My idea is wanting the edge to be seamless, but the texture inside it (the vein) to have random distribution.

I’ve tried to resize/position to make a huge piece of marble, it’s work, partially, the veins are also huge and cover the entire floor. Is it realistic to have veins that big in marble?

Thanks!

That means you need an image of the marble that covers an area at least as large as the floor. In reality it would be exceedingly difficult to get a single piece of marble that big and even more difficult to install it successfully. A better option would probably be to have multiple images of mable the same color to use to make the tiles.

I tend to work more with wood but it’s kind of the same idea. I use textures of large long boards. They are usually larger than the parts they will be applied to so I don’t need to worry about the repetition. You can see that the texture is quite large and will repeat if the face it is applied to is larger.

In the case of this material it is one of six from the same log so I have a whole lot of “wood” to use for a project.

Yes, of course, if you increase the dimensions of the texture the veins will get larger, too. Personally I don’t think it’s realistic at all.

Oh, and a typical seamless marble texture will have the repeating veinging.

1 Like

Thanks. This is probably the solution to this. Wandering online and I’ve encountered some images of marble floor, like this one
I “kinda” understand how it’s work now, but how do I apply so many different textures to one single faces? I vaguely guess using photoshop, making a big canvas and paste it all on it then reapply into Sketchup. Am I correct?

Here’s an example of a seamless marble texture from SketchUp Texture Club.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s more the way a marble floor should look.

One option would be to combine your marble images into a single image in PhotoShop or similar and import that as a texture. Another option would be to divide the floor into rectangles by drawing lines across it. Then apply the images as textures to the various regions. After you’ve done that you can hide the edges so they don’t show in the SketchUp model.

Here’s an example using the pine textures that go with the one I showed earlier. The textures aren’t wide enough to to the back and end pieces so I divided the faces with lines, added the different textures into each region, and then hid the lines. (I actually wanted a bit of a seam line on the back so that was added back in.
Imgur

And the same sort of thing on this chest.
Imgur

1 Like

Thank you so much! This is exactly how I want it to look.

1 Like

Good luck with it. I hope you can find enough suitable marble images.

By the way, if you are decent with Photoshop you could probably make your own doing a sort of faux marble in a way that is simillar to the way some folks can make paint on walls look like marble.

1 Like

Also known as Trompe-l’œil.

1 Like

or use 1 very large and seamless texture, divide the face, apply the texture and use "texture randomizer’ extension to automatically randomize the texture position

https://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=44049

1 Like

Your texture image is just one tile, and its repeated many times.

That’s not very realistic.

You need to find a texture image that is made up from many tiles, at least 8.

This will give enough variation for your floor.

1 Like

Another way is to use a larger texture that can be moved/repositioned on each tile to have no repetition, since the funniness is due to the texture being identical on each tile. ‘Eneroth Texture Positioning Tools’ by Eneroth (on the Sketchucation website I think) is a good extension that helps me shift about larger textures over smaller repeated entities. Hope that helps.