How to texture a large area without repeated pattern

Hi,
I need help in Texture work. When I have a small brick texture for example and I wont to overlay on it dirt and aged layers in gimp and then apply it to a large wall, the result is always unacceptable because of the repeated pattern of the texture.
I tried to tile the texture on a canvas of the same size of the wall and then tried to treat the seams
between the textures . But in this way I got a very large sized texture .
Please I wont to learn the professional solution for this problem.

Many thanks in advance

I believe the term is called “seamless textures”. Try doing a websearch on that.

Even with the seamless textures, if you have some repeated definition within the image, it can make it look too repeated. As @DanRathbun said, do some web search, and bit of youtubing there. You may learn very good professional solution to this.

I am uploading one example that works.

Large flat surfaces will tend to look artificial even with seamless textures. Placing a few other objects over such flat surfaces can help to make the repetition much less noticeable. On a brick wall like yours, a plumping pipe or ventilation grill would really help. Making other objects cast shadows over your wall would also help.

The other option would be editing the image in an editor like photoshop or gimp. You first need to set up your default image editor in Sketchup’s System Preferences. Then right click on your texture and “Make unique texture”. Right click again and go to “Texture” then “Edit texture image” You can then go to work making the texture more natural.

1 Like

You apply this texture on the wall, and why not model and create different objects in SketchUp? You can easily model those plumping pipes and ventilation grill on the wall. I think that would be much quicker than trying to find a perfect image or create one.

Do as follow:

1. copy large area to autocad
  2. redraw
  3. export as pdf (if its possible as jpg)
  4. Open Photoshop > new proportional area drawing of your area
  5. Play around texturing
  6. Save it as jpg pr png
  7. in Sketchup create brand new Texture > import jpg or png file
  8. Finnally play around scale, tile, etc
    works for me

You could try PIXPLANT. It creates a seamless texture from a ‘seed’ image, a jpg for example. Very simple to use but it’s not free.