I need help understanding this warning in scenes

advice

Before i made this post, I did look up other explanations, they just didn’t seem to make sense to me. The first one I found was this one: Scenes & Styles Warning
Didn’t understand half of it. Which of these options should you pick if you want the model to change with the scenes?

This warning indicates that the style has been modified from the one you were using before you modified it. If you look at the Styles window, you’ll see that the thumbnail has circular arrows over it. There are a couple of options. If you want to update the existing style, choose that option. This will make any other scene using that style show those changes as well. If you choose Create new style, it’ll make a new style and not update the existing one. That means other scenes that are using the original style will continue to use it. If you choose to do nothing with the style, it will leave it un-updated which is most likely NOT what you want.

One thing you should make sure of is that you don’t already have a style in the SketchUp file that matches the settings you just made. You can wind up with lots of duplicate styles that way.

I highly recommend that you leave this warning enabled because it’s easy to create trouble for yourself if you disable it.

Also, be aware that section cut settings are part of the style properties so if you start with a scene that has no section cuts displayed and turn on section cuts for the next scene, you’ll have modified the style and you’ll need to update or create a new style to suit. (Keep the Styles window open to see the effect of turning on section cuts.) If you already have a style with section cuts on, select that style before creating the new scene with section cuts.

This is very hard to understand. I clicked on the icon with the arrows. It disappeared to I guess it’s set. I’m not quite sure if there are other styles in my drawing. There should not be any, but strange things happen.

“One thing you should make sure of is that you don’t already have a style in the SketchUp file that matches the settings you just made. You can wind up with lots of duplicate styles that way.”

Shouldn’t they be the same? Isn’t it best to keep using only one style?

Yes. Clicking on the thumbnail will update the style with the changes you made. If you do that and then create a new scene, you won’t get the warning message because the scene is updated.

Click the little house icon in the Styles window below the tabs. It’ll show you the In Model styles. There’ll be a small thumbnail for each style.

Not necessarily. There are different reasons why you might have different styles. For example you might want some scenes to show textures while others are only linework. Since section displaysettings are style properties, you might have a style for scenes that do show section cuts while other scenes don’t. Maybe you want to show an X-ray view of the model in one scene but not the others. That would require a different style.

This makes sense. Much easier to process. Thing can be very complicated for me. Luckily I only had 1 style.

Thanks i’ll find out if something goes wrong.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.