I have downloaded Sketchup stl but cannot find a way to save my model as stl instead of skp

Hi, I’m new to all this. I want to print a simple 3D model created in Sketchup 2015 just to get going. I have downloaded Sketchup STL since I need to save my file in this filetype in order for the slicer to work.STL import export is checked in preferences but I have no save option with an stl filetype. can you help please. Please, no acroyms or clever gargon or it won’t help - i’m too new to all this.

Please always read the help on the Extension Warehouse page from which you download extensions. It often has important things that you must know in order to install and use the extension.

The STL Extension EW page shows that (because this is a Ruby Export plugin,) it must put a separate “Export STL…” item on the “File” menu. (It will not be a choice in the “Filetype” dropdown menu, on the “Save As…” dialog.)

Furthermore, the STL Extension EW page says:
This function requires you to select one or more groups for export (so you’ll need to group your geometry before using this).

Also →

Many thanks for this. Sometimes (most times) as a newbee, even the terminology can be confusing. For example, I am not sure what grouping the geometry is. I assume you somehow select all your designs before using the export to STL.

Anyway, I have tried this and it does work so I am most grateful to you for your help.

Best wishes,

Martyn

There are 3 types of “entities” collections in SketchUp.

1. The toplevel model (or world) entities collection. This can be free primitives (edges, faces, guides, cpoints, etc.,) and component instances or group instances.

2. Component definition entities collection (which each instance shares.) They can contain the same things that the model level entities collection can (because “under the hood” the collections are the same class objects.)

3. Group instance entities collection. (Groups are really a special kind of component “under the hood”. They are meant to be easier and less formal to use than traditional components.)

All primitives are drawn on Layer0.

To make a group,

1. window select the model objects (primitives or other groups or component instances,)
  2. point to the selection and right-click the mouse,
  3. choose Make Group from the popup context menu.
1 Like