How to use Finder on a Mac to locate all those ~.skp backup files?

So I’m trying to do some housekeeping and delete 3 years worth of Sketchup backup files on my Mac. But for some reason Finder will recognize only a small number of the many ~.skp backup files on my Mac through a Finder search.

Anyone encounter this or find a solution?

I’ve tried searching by file type (.skp) and finder only shows me all the non-backup file versions.

I even tried adding unique search queries such as “include hidden folders” and “application managed files” etc. under the “other” Finder search option.

I also have show hidden files enabled on Finder. And forced Spotlight to re-index.

Would be great to find a way to do a Finder search and pull up all those backup files hiding in various project folders and get rid of them all at once!

I’m considering turning off the backup file feature, but I have a feeling I will sorely regret it at some point, even with impulsive use of command+S.

Thanks in advance

When you’re in Finder, and you use the Search feature, as you type skp you are given an option to find ‘Kinds’, for any SketchUp Model file:

That very quickly gives you a long list, no matter where the files are stored.

1 Like

Or try ’ ~’ only.
Mind you, if you start publishing to Trimble Connect you will have access to a version history.
Timemachine somewhat does the same thing, but then you need to know the location and date.

Thanks for the responses Colin and Mike!

Actually, seems to be working now! I had tried both your methods before, but now it seems to be showing everything.

Perhaps it took a while for the spotlight search to re-index, which I had done while trying the search queries…

Thanks for your help!!

My MAC terminal commands very rusty…
Something like…

find ~ | grep '\~\.skp$'

Should find all backup SKPs ??

2 Likes

The OP seems to have found what he needs, so I won’t belabor the reply unless someone wants to get deep into the command line weeds. Though that command might work, it will likely take a long time and will report numerous permission issues to the terminal output.

1 Like

Hi @slbaumgartner

I would like to see what you have to say about command line weeds. But then that’s only me… and I can see how writing about what you know in this area will take some time… and you might want a larger crowd than only one person.

----

A while back I was starting to write/learn programing. And that exposed me to vim, and grep, and gcc, … and I figured I might as well keep myself tied into the command line way of doing things because it keeps me a little more engaged with the programming efforts. And I also thought it was a nice way to interface with all of the files that are on a hard drive.

Anyhow, I have a good interest in command line, but it tends to drop off because there aren’t too many active discussions about it.

I’ll give it a while to see if anyone else expresses interest. If not and you want to continue, we can take it offline to PMs. The macOS command line in general is territory for old UNIX dinosaurs like me.

1 Like

I’m appreciative of all these responses.

I haven’t had a need to use terminal much in recent years, and that’s fine by me!