How to place an object on top of others

Hi. I’m brand new to Sketchup and struggling. I’m using Sketchup for my woodworking projects. I’ve got a bathroom vanity cabinet drawn and now I’m trying to put the front face and doors on it. When I draw the rectangle on top of the other edges to make a front frame, certain parts are not covered with my rectangle even though I selected it. This problem persists even after pulling it to the correct thickness. What the heck am I doing wrong???

I don’t quite follow your description. Could you please upload a model that illustrates the problem? Use this button on the reply window:

As slbaumgartner requested, please upload your model so we can take a look at it.

A guess from your description is that you aren’t making the separate parts of the cabinet components or groups so when you draw something like the face frame parts, they aren’t forming up as you expect. You need to “wrap” each part you’d make in the shop up as a component or group so other geometry doesn’t stick to it.

Newest Cabinet.skp (231.9 KB)

Look at the left side of the cabinet. The white frame is what I’m attaching. See how there is a notch at the top and bottom. Also note the middle portion where the the shelf support is outlined as well. Thanks. Ken

It’s as I suspected.You’ve not been making each part a separate component. The white face frame stile, the case bottom and the other internal parts are all loose geometry and are thus connected together. The only parts properly made are the toe kick and the rear rail at the top. The case sides are a component but one side was copied to the other while the component was open for editing. I’ll repair your model and post it shortly. You’ll be able to look at the structure and she how it should be built.

By the way, I sent you a PM last night, too. click on the K in the circle in the upper right corner of the forum window.

Here’s the corrected model although I didn’t apply any materials to it. You can see how every part you’d make in the shop is a component… When there are duplicates or mirrored copies as in the sides and the face frame stiles, one component is copied and the copy is flipped using the Flip Along command. (Don’t make the mistake of rotating end for end)

I don’t know what dimensions you’re intending for the face frame rails so I left them out. I would suggest you wait uuuntil the model is completed before applying materials. They can slow down your computer and they’ll mask reversed faces which you should correct if and when they occur.

Newest Cabinet.skp (60.1 KB)

2 Likes

Dave,

It is unreal how many nice people are still out there, willing to help someone they don’t even know. I can’t believe you took the time out of your day to help me out and straighten out my mess! I never expected you to do that and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. I also want to thank you for the video link. I watched it and it opened my eyes to a lot of things but I think I need to watch it again to fully grasp some of the techniques. Specifically flipping components and knowing which way it will flip. Anyway, I will only be using a handful of Sketchup’s many capabilities to help me with my woodworking and you have helped me greatly. My hat is off to you Sir. Thanks so much and Merry Christmas! Ken

Hi Ken. If I was able to help, I’m glad.

As for the flip thing, it isn’t terribly complicated. When you create a
component its axis will have the same orientation as the model axes. The
flip direction will usually be the same as the direction you moved the copy
away from the original. There’s more but it is slow going typing on my
phone.

Cheers

Thanks Dave! I’m making prettying good strides now thanks to your help! Take care. Ken

1 Like