How to make door or window hole to a log wall

Hi,
I’m modeling a small and simple house made of logs. I’ve created component of each log type I’m using so that it’s quite easy to snap logs together to build walls. Just like building a log house in real life.

Now I have an issue when trying to make door or window holes to walls. It seems that it’s not possible to draw a rectangle and push it through such wall made of components. It seems that it’s not possible to use solid substract function either, since there is multiple components (logs). It is possible to cut hole to one log at time by using substract, but it’s quite slow and frustrating way to work.

What would be the best way to cut a door or a window to a log wall, where every log is a component? I’m beginner with Sketchup and have used it only few days. I didn’t find tutorial for this kind of problem, but hope that some one can help.

Maybe make different logs like the old Lincoln Log set had small ones for corners and ends and the longer ones for walls, doors, and windows

The logs that are cut by the door and window openings can’t be components–at least not all instances of the same component–because they’re not going to be identical after you cut them. So they can be groups, or several different (unique) components, or just raw geometry.

To cut the openings, you need to use either the Intersect Faces command if you’re using SU Make or the Solid Tools if you’re using Pro. The latter would certainly be easier. You didn’t say which you’ve got in your profile, so I have no way of knowing. How about letting us know which you have so the advice can address your particular situation?

-Gully

Edit: As I look at @denisroy’s response, I see that he’s using square-cut logs, whereas I was thinking of the problem using cylindrical logs. It makes a big difference. So there’s another piece of information you need to provide us for an accurate response.

1 Like

Hi @tapf

As demonstrated in this tutorial video, components are handy when you need several exact copy of something. That way if you alter one component, the changes made are reflected on all other components.

If you only wish to alter a few, you will need to make them unique first by selecting them and then right-clicking → Make unique.

One solution could be to explode your unique components, make a group of them and then make your opening within that group instead.

Hope this helps! :smile:

you can use just one component if you wish…
john

1 Like

Continuing on @john_drivenupthewall exemple:

• I have made some logs unique
  • Then scaled them back to form one side of the opening
  • Then used the move tool to make a copy on the other side, but when I try to push/pull, it’s the log’s right side that gets adjusted on both side.
  • So what I do after is scale the right side about its center (holding CTRL) with -1 as scale factor, thus inverting the direction of the right side and make the adjustment of the opening symmetrical

As @Gully_Foyle said, the more information you share on your problem, the more precise the answer will be as there’s always so many ways to skin a cat :smile:

The downside of the scaling approach is that textures on a scaled component get distorted, irrespective if the material is painted on the whole component or faces inside it.

Anssi

2 Likes

Anssi has an excellent point.

Despite what has already been said, you could indeed make the logs components. I would start by using the same log component copied up the entire wall. Then, for those that need to get modified in the same way, such as for the door, I would select those logs and make them unique. Then those logs could easily be cut with a couple of cutting planes or a cutting box. Editing one of them would result in the others getting cut, too. This process would be easier than cutting holes in a bunch of groups and would avoid the issue of scaled textures if you apply textures to the logs.

It seems entirely feasible to identify the configuration of each log you’ll need in advance. There may be three or four unique configurations (e.g., from end to door opening, from door opening to window opening, from window to far end) and simply fabricate them as separate components. Then just put them together as you would a prefabbed log cabin kit. In the long run, that may be the least problematic approach.

-Gully

1 Like

Your ideas have been very useful. Finally I decided to use “explode method” to create new components for making door/window cuts. Seems to be fast and easy way to modify model for beginner and it makes possible to define and save every log type used in the building. Thank you!

If you’re happy with that method, that’s great but it’s a whole lot of unneeded work.