How to export a 2D floor plan from SketchUp to Layout to scale (1/4" = 1')

I am struggling with something that appears to be super basic: A 2D floor plan drawn in Sketchup that I want to print at ¼”=1’ scale. I was thinking of using Layout for all the annotations, text labels, etc.

I made a short video that shows what I have tried and how much I have struggled. I know I can resize my exported models manually once they are in Layout, but I am worried that I introduce inaccuracies that way. I posted it to a Microsoft OneDrive folder, here’s the link to the video: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Any tips you might have for me would be wonderful! I wasted hours… For something that should be so straightforward. Which makes me think I am making a super beginner mistake here somewhere.

Thank you,
Christina

In SketchUp Model panel from Layout set the scale (in your Layout you will see the options for the scale in imperial units)
sca-02

Learn the basics for SketchUp an Layout at: https://learn.sketchup.com/

1 Like

Well that’s good because it is exactly what Layout was designed for.

And it is. Have you followed a proper set of tutorials, looked at the many online videos, or invested in one of the several excellent books which tell you how to use SU and Layout? If not, you should. It is inefficient learning solely by trial and error.

@mihai.s has given you the short answer.

2 Likes

You need to create a scene with a 2d camera in View/Animation/Add Scene Then save and send to layout. You can make pretty elaborate drawings if you look at what people post. Look at my post from earlier today for an idea. The key is to identify components so you point an arrow at them in Layout and note is finished without any additional work. Good Luck!

1 Like

Christina, it was good to chat with you today. It sounds like it was helpful. I hope so.

1 Like

Fabulous, Mihai, thank you so much! That worked.
Christina

Your help was gold! I have it all working now!
Christina

1 Like

Fabulous, thank you! I need to do some more reading and video watching. I learn best by doing, and this has been tremendously helpful.
Christina