Exporting a Sketchup plan to scale

Hi There,
I have Imported my floor plan over from Sketchup free to my new Sketchup Pro 2022. using Windows.
I have managed to print it to scale 1:100 in tiles but I really want to export it to a 1:100mm scale .
I am using the parallel projection
I would love some help please.

Thanks,Mary22

This is where LayOut comes into play. Set up a scene showing your plan in the SketchUp model. Save it and then send to LayOut. Choose the required paper size so your 1:100 plan will fit. Set the scale for the viewport and drag the edges of it if needed to adjust the size of the viewport.

Once you have it set up the way you need it, export as a PDF. That can then be printed on a printer that will handle the paper size.

If you share the .skp file I’ll set up a LayOut file to show you.

1 Like

Dave’s advice is to the point. You can, though, also use the Export>2D Image route directly from SketchUp. If your view is a standard one (top, for instance, for a plan view) you can set your scale for DWG, DXF, PDF or EPS export in the export dialog. The results from LayOut are more consistent.

Hey DaveR,

Thanks so much for this . The Export >2D didn’t work for me as It didn’t give me the option to select DWG etc.
I have attached my .skp file. I have been finding the scale drop downs aren’t popping up for me.
Dally Clark Shoreham Existing (Dave).skp (48.9 KB)
Cheers
Mary2

Was that in SketchUp Free (the web version) or in SketchUp Pro?

Do you need a CAD file (.dwg or .dxf) export or something else? If you need .dwg or .dxf those options will be found at the bottom of the list of 2D export types in SketchUp Pro.
Screenshot - 5_18_2022 , 9_04_05 PM

My reference to LayOut would get you scaled output in a PDF format. You could also export .dwg/.dxf from LayOut.

To set up your plan to export as a PDF from LayOut, create a scene in SketchUp. Here I used the Hidden Line style so it’s just black edges and white background.

After saving the changes to the SketchUp file, I used File>Send to LayOut. I chose A3 for the paper size so your plan would be displayed on one page at 1:100

I set the render type to Vector and the scale to 1:100.

Here is the resulting PDF file:
Dally Clark.pdf (18.8 KB)

Hey Dave,

You are the nicest person I have dealt with in a long time. This is so clear now.

I really appreciate your help, you have saved my day!

Cheers
Mary :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can print to scale directly from SketchUp. The process has been shown in the forum numerous times. Use the search function.

How do you know it’s a waste of time if you’ve never used it?

I guess it’s a waste of my time to reply to you.

You can look it up in the SketchUp Help files as easily as I can.

Sorry that we do not help you in a satisfactory way. Why not file an official help request? Or read the help pages?

hi,

the true question would be, where is the user manual. You can check the online help pages, and official tutorials, they’ll point you toward layout.

yes there is. it’s called layout. it’s a part of SU, it’s even installed with it. you should try it.

exporting a plan at scale from SU in layout is literally the ONLY use I’ve ever had for layout. the thing you want to do. :man_shrugging:

On On this page, (found via Google search) you will find the info you are looking for.

How is sketchup forcing you to use layout?
If you don’t know how to use a software and don’t have interest on learning, it doesn’t mean it’s a waste of time. Exporting to autocad and working there requires a lot more of time than doing it on Layout, specially if you have to make changes to the model, on layout the changes are updated automatically, on autocad you’ll have to export again the image or model.

there hasn’t been a manual in years. ever maybe ? Instead we had the instructor inside sketchup, and the user guide. a guide for users who want to use the software. like a manual. but more like a guide.

if you find another one, feel free to let us know.

from the user guide RLGL gave you :
https://help.sketchup.com/en/layout/working-sketchup-models-layout

import your SU file. select the right scene or view. select a scale. export.

it’s layout 101. it’s a specific chapter in the user guide.
Capture d’écran 2023-06-05 à 22.51.01

that is making a drawing, to scale. the tool your talking about allows you to add additional drawings to your file, in 2D, directly to a specific scale.
it’s explained here. in the users guide. in the section below the previous one in fact.
https://help.sketchup.com/en/layout/creating-scaled-drawing

This is the Layout user guide.
https://help.sketchup.com/en/layout

read it. section after section. and you’ll have a basic understanding of layout.
on the top, you’ll see a “learn” section. it’ll bring you here.
a step-by step tutorial of how to use layout.

it’s free.

Finally, here is a link to the youtube channel. I’ve even taken the time to make a “layout” search

I mean, at this point of the discourse, it’s crazy how you refuse the support we’re giving you

Also, attitude. really.

well it required a lot of sentences because you where all pissy about how layout is an useless tool you don’t want to learn.
Yeah. it’s in the Sketchup model panel. like it says in the many links I provided. and no, it doesn’t say it’s in the camera sub section. because it’s the section open by default in the panel.

I know, right ? the other day I had an issue, and several people took time to solve it, what a wasteful valueless forum.

straight to the ignore list, like the other muppets.
(edit : yeah, I know, moderation will come and delete some stuff, we have to be nice with each other. but with that attitude it’s the last time many of us will ever help.)

What are you doing here then? And with that attitude don’t expect people to be willing to help you, not only here but anywhere.