How to change axis on a component?

I’ve never dealt with this issue with all my time working with Sketchup so it’s really starting to frustrate me. I insert a window/door component onto my model but it won’t insert flat on the face of the object like it normally did. When I try to lay it on one side of my model’s face, it stands upright. I used to not have to do anything to it (ie. change its axis, or cut a square to fit it). I’ve inserted a sample so you can see what I’m talking about because it’s a little hard to explain. But basically, how do I get the components to align flat again like they always used to? I’m new to this so it only lets me post one image…

You can right click on the component and choose Change Axes. Then set them with the desired alignment.

Share the SKP file so we can take a look at it. Where did you get the window component?

Tried that, the problem is I don’t want to have to do it for every single time I upload that component. The component is a collection made by sketchup and contain doors and windows I use for every project

sample.skp (173.8 KB)

When you have reset the component’s axes successfully in your model, and change its definition’s behavior to glue to face and cut-hole etc - then select an instance of it, right-click > context-menu > Save As…
Save it with the same name, and use it to overwrite the existing component in the ‘collection’ OR save it into your own custom-collection set of components - e.g. if you want to retain the original, then just use a slightly different name… you are the boss…
When you next insert that component into a new model it should now glue to a face and cut-holes etc…

Also, ensure :smiley:the model ‘s axis (Or your template!) is altered:

Rightclick on one of the axis and check if you see ‘Reset Axis’ optional (black instead if gray font)

And also ensure that the new axes insertion point is placed logically on the component, and that the blue axis faces out from the face you will want to insert the instance into, and also that the insertion-point is on a ‘loop’ [or loops] of edges on the red/green plane - this will determine the cutting hole in the glued-to face…

1 Like