Components from 'Sketchup Official' in 3D Warehouse not inserting on correct axis

I am using Sketchup 2019 and can no longer insert Door or Window components from the “Sketchup Official” in the 3D Warehouse. They insert horizontally or vertically when not attached to any object. When they are moved into place in a wall, the components do not cut the wall. Is there a setting I have wrong? I have been inserting components for many years but this is the first time I’ve had this issue. Can anyone help or suggest a solution?

It sounds like the components you are using have gluing properties set so they want to go onto a wall. If the have hole cutting properties, too, you need to place them onto a face. The face needs to be either ungrouped or you must have the group open for editing.

1. I have drawn a simple 3D box. Not grouped, not a component.
  2. From the Components window in the Default Tray, I selected Construction under the ‘Favorites’ category.
  3. I selected a window or door from ‘Windows Low Poly’ or ‘Doors Low Poly’ categories created by ‘Sketchup Official’
  4. I cannot insert it correctly on ANY face of the box I created.

Can ANYONE help or give me a suggestion? Much appreciated!

open a template with a ‘person’ in it >> draw your cube in proportion to the person >> insert the component…

is it working when you do that?

john

I started a new model with the Simple Template.
Created a cube and tried inserting window components. They seem to insert perpendicular to the way they should. Trying to attach a screenshot… Hope this works.

![SketchupCapture|690x406](upload://lNZnlaGYIf3ml9jxdKwoI71q0ID.png

1 Like

I am attaching the model. Perhaps it is a setting that I have set incorrectly?Untitled Model.skp (221.9 KB)

Those components in your model were not built correctly. You can fix them if you want. I exploded the large window component and remade it setting the axes in the correct orientation. I put the red along the bottom and the green up the side. Set it to cut the opening, too.

I have no idea why those components were made as they are but there are plenty of window components available in the Warehouse that I’m not sure I’d bother with these unless you absolutely have to use them.

OK thanks. So it’s not me! I’m surprised because these are Sketchup’s own official components they offer to users. I should find a way to alert them.
Thank you DaveR! I appreciate your help!!

1 Like

I agree that those components should work as expected. I don’t know why they don’t and someone ought to be alerted. Maybe someone like @colin can do something about it.

Depending on your needs, you might find it useful to search the 3D Warehouse for windows from your preferred manufacturer. You’re likely to get windows that are like what you would specify in the project.

Hopefully this help article is still accurate:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/commenting-3d-warehouse

Getting the author to fix their model would be one solution.

@psaal may have thoughts too.

Colin, are you aware of the Components issue I noted in the Sketchup Forum? If not, I can elaborate and describe it to you directly.

Many thanks,

Paul

I have tried different components, both directly from the Components tray and from the 3D Warehouse window, and on Mac and Windows. In all cases the component behaves itself.

Which template are you using for your model? Can you draw the basic box and upload that scene?

Conversely, here is my scene just after I have made the box. Do components work in my one?

marcbox.skp (128.7 KB)

I have reason to believe that some files were updated in 3D Warehouse. The example file includes “Storefront window with transom 72 in. x 110 in.”, and does seem to hug the walls at 90 degrees to what it should. Do a 3DWH search for “Storefront window with transom 72 in. x 110 in.” now, and the component you get hugs the walls correctly.

Hi Colin, I am attaching the Sketchup model I was having the issues with.

The components I am having a problem with were accessed through the Components panel in the Default Tray under Favorites > Construction > Doors Low Poly (by Sketchup Official) and Windows Low Poly (by Sketchup Official). They worked for years and were easy to use by my students but now they don’t behave properly at all.

Thanks for any help you can offer, Colin! I do know you’re busy but I really appreciate your help.

Paul

Paul R. Gongola, ALA

847-809-9675

Untitled Model.skp (222 KB)

I looked at that model already, and mentioned that if you do a search in 3D Warehouse, or in the Components panel, for “Storefront window with transom 72 in. x 110 in.”, you now get a fixed version. It was a temporary glitch that affected some number of models.

I’m not looking for storefront windows. I’m looking for ANY window or any door in the Doors Low Poly and the Windows Low Poly categories in the 3D Warehouse. This is where I direct my students to choose window or door components from. They were created by ‘Sketchup Official’. I direct students there because I assume they are reliable components to insert into their models. But they still don’t seem to work as of this morning.

Paul

Paul R. Gongola, ALA

847-809-9675

those components are ‘shipped’ inside SU and will only update when a new version of SU is installed…

what others are saying is the ;same; model in the 3DWH have been updated already…

they can be downloaded from there…

john

1 Like

Thank you very much John. They do seem to be inserting into the model properly now and I appreciate your help and effort. You guys are awesome!!

Paul

Paul R. Gongola, ALA

847-809-9675

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.