How to align objects with dissimilar planes

For instance…importing a chair from one file into another. When attempting to place it on the floor, the legs do not meet the floor at the same plane. This is most common if the chair had been rotated incorrectly and then saved in the previous file. So…is there a simple way to, for instance, select any three points on an object/component and “snap” that object/component onto the face/plane of another object?

mvo-06

But depending on the situation, it would probably be easy with the Move and Rotate tools as well.

2 Likes

You could edit the component’s axis to be aligned with the correct plane. This would change the way new instances insert into your model.

2 Likes

JHS Power bar? Fredo6? Are those plugins?

Bryceosaurus(Profile - Bryceosaurus - SketchUp Community)SketchUp Team Member

“You could edit the component’s axis to be aligned with the correct plane. This would change the way new instances insert into your model.”

How do we edit the axis in this fashion. How would it change new insertions?

Been away from SketchUp for some time and coming back. I recall this being high on my list of bugs with it. Why this seemingly common need isn’t more straightforwardly addressed in the base menu options is pretty annoying.

Right click the component and choose “change axis”. Reposition the axis to be aligned to the correct face(s). Then reinsert the component from the component browser. It should align the newly postioned component axis to the global model axis.

1 Like

How are you moving the stool with Fredo’s Move Along? I cannot seem to get the stool to align on the pyramid

Fredo Tools > Move Along
mvo-04

Thanks, I am going to have to practice with the tool and see what I can do