How do I turn axis snapping back on?

I have a web document that I somehow shut off the snapping to axis (red, green, blue lines).
I started a new document just to see if it was global or per-doucment and its definitely document specific. Ie. it works again in new documents. How do I turn it back on?
Just to be clear, when I select the rectangle tool for instance, I should be able to hover near an axis line and see it snap with a little point indicator on the nearest axis. Current its ignoring those. Please help. Docs are terrible.

EDIT: Oh I see. First hover over the origin, then move away from it (after you get the “Origin” inference) and then try your axis inference.

Here is a gif of what’s happening. Inference is either confused by near by shapes or there’s a bug. I started this project over and snapping worked again. Over time it just stops. http://www.giphy.com/gifs/87h2Cp92AAd2xHpN70

I’ve never seen the Line or Rectangle tool snap to an axis line in either the web based version or the desktop client version. Can you make a GIF that shows it working for you? And just upload the GIF here so we don’t need to go to another site to look at it.

A HA! You first response makes sense now. Sorry. You were exactly right.
http://www.giphy.com/gifs/1xV85sC61egnIOWUNU

So as Dan suggested, hover over the origin to get the inference point.

If you don’t want to do that, though, you can place a guideline on the axis by double clicking on the axis line with the Tape Measure tool. The drawing tools will then snap to that guideline.

Good to know. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello I am having a similar issue. but it is only happening on the green axis.
It happens to every object. and it will affect the global green axis, so if I turn an object 90 degrees and open it it will make this behavier on the local RED axis internally that corresponds to the green global axis.
The arrow keys work on every direction, just the automatic snap that stopped.
This happens from time to time on what appear to be random models.

Can anyone explain me this behavior? it feels like trying to move a glued component to the perpendicular axis. but it is not glued and it moves freely just doesn’t snap to green.
I would perceive this as wrong use of the snapping feature if it didn’t work on the other 2 axis but because is just to green that I don’t understand.
Can’t exactly tell if is the same issue as the OP had 4 years ago, can’t see the GIFS provided anymore.

I think your issue is different.

What tool are you using to move the object? My Move tool doesn’t have a floating set of axes lines attached to it.

It would if you turn on Crosshairs in Preferences.
Screenshot - 11_8_2022 , 9_36_55 AM

move

3 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t run out of things to discover in SketchUp…

I found that having crosshairs on made it a lot harder to snap to the three axes. Not because they interfere with inferencing, but because I naturally tried dragging in the direction of the crosshairs axes, and not the global axes.

Would be interesting to see a recording of dragging near the origin of the model, with Axes checked, to make sure that the object was being moved near the global green axis.

2 Likes

I always preferred to keep them on.

Ok so I have an update/solution on this.
Was trying to record the behavior close to the origin and doing that made it snap again to green.
it is not a big file and nothing is miles away from the origin but its good to know a way to make it snap back.
The object I used to demonstrate on the previous video is aprox 6 meters from the origin.
Let me know if it is worth uploading the file for further inspection.
Many thanks!