How do I repair holes in the floor or prevent them in the first place?

sketchup-free

You should be able to delete the edges and have the face of the floor heal itself. The best way to avoid that, however, would be to make the floor without the walls or anything else on it. Then group the geometry for the floor before adding walls or posts.

Unfortunately, this removes the floor with it. I didn’t know that every floor and wall had to be grouped before I started putting things on top of them. Should I start over and redo the model?

Grouping is the way to prevent geometry connecting to and modifying other geometry.

I don’t know. Perhaps. From what I can see in your screen shot, it doesn’t appear that your walls have any thickness which wouldn’t be correct. Undoing a few steps might get you back to a point where the floor appears and then erasing less might get rid of the hole without creating an even bigger one.

Preventing making the holes is the key here. You could start your drawings by creating your floor based on the plan of the room. If you want realism, give it depth by Push/Pulling it down. Then, before doing anything else, triple click on what you’ve drawn and make it a Group or Component. You could do the same thing for your walls. Then you can start adding other detail (which might itself be best grouped individually).

Best practice suggests that all raw geometry should be on Layer 0 and all Groups and Components on other layers, such that if you turned off all other layers leaving Layer 0 as the only active one, you would see nothing at all.

This is really helpful, thanks. Should the entire infrastructure of the model (without components) be turned into a layer, then?

I have only just seen this by accident. If you want to ping someone, you need to include their handle. Yours is @Jane2018 and mine is @simoncbevans. When you start typing a handle, the system starts to guess available options so you can select from a list.

No one can answer this. It depends on your chosen workflow. And that in turn depends on the kind of thing you are modelling. If you can get hold of Michael Brightman’s Sketchup Worflow for Architecture, he has useful suggestions to make about layering that I use myself. It’s a balance between breaking things down into understandable elements (walls, floors, roofs, etc) and not ending up with so many layers that they get difficult to recognize and navigate.

I will check this out! In the meantime, the model is too far advanced to start anew. I can’t remove certain objects without creating holes in the floor but want to keep moving. I know this isn’t the most elegant solution, but is there a way to patch up the floor so it’s less noticeable?

Almost certainly but as you haven’t uploaded the file, I’m not sure.

Often, SketchUp can’t close a face when there are edges inside the surface. A solution is to delete the edges.

As a newbie I didn’t give the floor depth and “group” it before adding elements. I removed some objects and they left a hole, but also tried to rectify the floor by lifting it up a bit to group it.

Are you reluctant to upload the file? It could be useful because I suspect there may be other things wrong that might be useful for you to know about. Meanwhile, her is a way to heal a floor (if this is anything like your problem, but having to guess without the file):

Often, you need a clean surface border with no coplanar vertices attached to more than two edges.

A solution for this was using the line tool instead of the rectangle tool.

Point is, having a clean surface border might help.
Maybe group the tree murals with any surface lines you may want. As long as the floor group has a hole with no lines attached to it or surfaces going through it. Hide the trees to get visibility of the floor.

Why did you do that? Even if you had a floor with a single surface bounded by four edges, you could have grouped it. Pulling it up or down would enable you to create what SU refers to as a solid, which just means something that has values in all three axes. Sadly, it wouldn’t have helped with healing the floor. I’m afraid it may have made matters worse.

Not reluctant to upload the file. When I download it as a SKP file to my computer and then upload it, I’m told that it is too large to upload.

I added an updated version to 3D Warehouse (HR2019).

Yes, there is a 3Mb limit to drawings uploaded directly to the forum. Well done for finding a different way of sharing. 21Mb is a pretty big file. One of the first things I did was to purge it. That halved the size straightaway. It’s probably the detailed images that take up so many Mb.

Another thing I noticed is that almost everything is on Layer 0. Raw geometry should be on Layer 0 but it is good practice to move all groups and components to other layers. And ideally, everything should end up in a group or component, such that if you turned off all layers but Layer 0, you would see nothing at all. Some of your walls are in a group, others are ungrouped, so it is lacking in logic. Getting used to setting up appropriate layers and making proper use of them will help you enormously.

Repairing your floor was easy enough. My internet upload speed has slowed to a crawl so I’ll upload the video later.

Glad there’s a carpenter in the house!

Yes, I realize that I need to go back to YouTube and go over layers again. Thanks for looking into it.

I see a lot of little glitches in your model that suggest you need to practice using SketchUp’s inference system more carefully. Things that are just a bit misaligned produce the kind of issues you are seeing and also make them harder to repair. Below are some examples.

Did you mean for the partial cylinders objects in this wall to be turned from the wall plane?

Did you intend the floor levels to have a step here? And there’s a spurious arc and edge visible.

I doubt you meant to get this strange spike sticking out or the rectangle floating in the air away from the building:

There are more, but I won’t harass you by showing them. The point is that they suggest that you are being careless about getting things aligned while you draw, and this usually indicates the user is not paying attention to inference snaps.

I think I’ve gotten better at this – I did the section with the objects layed out on the case more recently.

If I want to start over, can I transfer all the components from one model to another, or would I have to create them all over again?

You can copy and paste them from one file to another. You can even use the “Paste in Place” function to locate the new copies in the same exact orientation within the world coordinate system.