How can I view Sketchup models on an Oculus Quest 2 headset?

I have Sketchup Pro 2022 and I want to view the models on a Quest 2. I want to know what are the best routes to do this? Also, is there any way of viewing these models while in a meeting type of environment discussing the designs with other individuals?

2 Likes

I use VR sketch. It’s an extension in the warehouse. It’s free and flipping awesome.

Load the vr sketch app into quest (it’s in the labs section), and you’ll get a 6 digit share code.

Open the model on computer, activate the extension, tell it to go to a quest on the same network. Then type in the code.

Done. That easy.

The app also has some share options.

I use it in my house with my rift, and also at the office on my quest 2 (clients are blown away by it)

I gave this a try. Added the app from labs, installed the extension, sent VR to Quest, looked down and could see my model. Then my Quest 2 powered off…

Don’t worry though, my headset was at 2% charge! I will try again after a bit of charging.

1 Like

I got a bugsplat on both my homebuilt and my laptop right after installing the extension, but other than that I haven’t had any problems that aren’t clients trying to walk into walls. Ha! It’s actually really awesome to send a person into four different versions of a space to see which one literally ‘feels’ the best.

Highly recommend.

1 Like

One great thing, it works fine from Mac (no bugsplat either). Most other solutions are PC only.

I’m glad you say that! Other than my iPad and a little iPod brick from 2004 I don’t have any Mac products.

I will say that it works much more efficiently on my homebuilt, but that’s because it’s a bigger system with the corded rift. I can actually load models one right after the other without it disconnecting. If I do this on my laptop I have to send it each time I close and open a new model. Which doesn’t take too long with the kinds of models I make. Probably wouldn’t even notice the difference if I didn’t have the rift.

Hopefully VRsketch might inspire dev of the SU VR viewer? @Aristodimos It certainly needs some :orange_heart:

2 Likes

oof VRSketch sub is almost twice the cost of a SketchUp Sub

I’ve not tried Kubity in a while - it’s $99/year.

Are they still going? I’m sure I read they were ceasing trading whilst they sought further funding

They should have charged more!

I didn’t look for any pricing. The labs app and the extension are free at the moment.

yup they are still up and running

VR sketch is not free, not unless you are a student.

Hi everyone,

Aris here for the SketchUp Product team. I am responsible for SketchUp Viewer AR/VR and I very much appreciate everyone’s input in this thread. I would be interested to arrange a 1:1 call with whoever is willing to take the time to discuss about the value that XR brings to their workflow, and what features they find useful from other VR applications that they are using.
If you are interested, feel free to schedule a call using this link.

Regards,
Aris

Hi @Aristodimos, The Meta Quest Pro is set for shipping on the 25th. Any news on whether SketchUp Viewer will be supported on the new headset and which features (in particular pass-through video for a HoloLens-like experience)?

I preordered a Pro, and should know some of the answers in a week from now.

My guess is that the Viewer will work right away, doing what it does now. But, for passthrough to work we may need to make changes so that the area around the model is transparent. Aris will know more about whether that’s planned. But, I’m fairly sure he won’t be able to tell you specific plans!

I think it’s ok to say that we’re fairly excited by the possibilities of the Quest Pro.

I’m very excited to see what can be done with the Pro as well. As a bit of background… I’ve used the HoloLens 1 quite a bit and found a few shortcomings. A main issue is ‘Sun Fighting’ (models not as visible as could be desired and loss of tracking due to blocking the sun). Passthrough seemed like the answer, so I tried to work that out by using an Oculus with a Zed Mini (and laptop in a backpack). My results with that were basically a wash. The mesh results just weren’t good enough and the whole process became too elaborate. Another huge drawback was lack of controllers with HL1.

So, I would say the Quest Pro with passthrough and controllers is astronomically awesome (if I didn’t usually try to sound less excited than I am)! I feel like a 5 year old loop (when I first got the HL1) is being closed.

I get that the Viewer works in either MR (HoloLens) or VR (Quest) but the “doing what it does now” part is what I’m anxious to know about. The difference is like HoloLens vs. MR Headsets. It’s fairly easy to go between the two (with Microsoft MRTK (Mixed Reality Toolkit)) but the SU HoloLens Viewer and SU VR Viewers are not the same. I guess I could sum up by saying that I could go berserk with curiosity as to what is next. We will just have to pester Aris until he breaks with company policy and just tells us everything!

Out of possible interest, here is a link to my YouTube page: XR Design & Installation - YouTube Almost all of the videos show SU models in one form or another (Viewer for HoloLens, desktop, or in other apps).

Let me know when he sends the secret files ;^)…

I was only referring to the SketchUp Viewer VR version. The Hololens app is a completely different app, I don’t know if it can work on Quest.

I’m wondering if the QP isn’t VR but does run the VR Viewer what the result would be. I’m hoping that it does function like the HoloLens Viewer (Or there will be a release that does soon). Exciting times!

It seems to me that I had trouble getting the Microsoft MR headset SU Viewer running and installed the Oculus/SU VR Viewer version (on a computer that I had never hooked the Oculus to) and it ran the MR headset from my computer. I was surprised and thought I must have made some mistake. I’m not as familiar with Steam/Oculus/VR. Can’t wait to see what’s next.