SketchUp to Oculus Quest 2 VR

I’m hoping someone can help me find a solution to VR problem.

I want view my SketchUp model in Virtual Reality on the Oculus Quest 2, is this possible? Either through a native SketchUP viewer app or a 3rd party app like Sentio or VR Sketch? Those are some of the possible solutions I’ve discovered on my own but none seem to work with the newest Quest 2 nor the previous Quest for that matter.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
DB

Yes, you need to a Sketchup Pro license and have to download the Sketchup AR/VR viewer (login with your Trimble account and go to “My Apps”) and install it on your computer. You have to connect your Quest with a cable (Oculus Link) to a VR Ready computersystem and go in Rift mode. You can install the free SketchUp viewer from there SketchUp Viewer on Oculus Rift | Oculus
I am using the Quest 1, but I assume that it is the same with the Quest 2.
Everething is working fine but I have a issue with collaboration in a model: Collaborating in VR model

The Sketchup viewer is not working on a wireless standalone Quest at this moment.

You can also take a look at Simlab Composer VR. Ir runs on a Quest. But my experience is, that when a model is to large, the Quest cannot load the VR file. VR Creation and Sharing Software

Hi there ! SENTIO VR is compatible with the Oculus Quest 2 using the Sideload option for now. ( Soon available via direct install on App Lab). You can upload the model using the Sketchup plugin to the cloud & view it on the Quest 2 using a 6 digit code. Multi-user VR meetings can also be done with clients in case you plan to collaborate using VR.

If you are on a Mac then the native solution is not an option. You have to rely on a 3rd party extension and client app.
I use vr sketch on my Mac and quest 2 although I am using for its viewer abilities rather than its sketching functions

It work on the Quest 2 and it’s 100% wireless. The only issue I’m having is the default controls are poor. There is an option of custom controls, but I’m still trying to figure that out.

You need:

1. Sketchup Pro 2021 version
  2. SketchUp Viewer VR
  3. Trimble Account to load your model. Saving it here allows you to invite other people to join you in the model space. Very cool!
  4. Virtual Desktop (get it from the Oculus app store)
  5. Facebook account
  6. Oculus Developer access (you can sign up for this and get it for free)
  7. Sidequest account which is a place for Quest developers to show their stuff
  8. Sidequest patch for Virtual Desktop (its called “sideloading”, look it up)
  9. Wifi-6 router. Yes, Wifi-AC is not going to cut it, you need the FASTEST wifi that is out there and your 2019 tech is not fast enough to achieve the 1.5Gb/sec transfer rate. If your wifi is not fast enough then it will “kind of work” but cut out all the time and you’ll wonder what the heck is going on. Then you’ll get frustrated and write bad reviews online. Yes it’s a bit of a pain to get going, but once you get this setup you’ll be able to get all your PC application to work on VR fully wirelessly which is the really cool part.
2 Likes

I have that setup, previously with Bootcamp on my work MacBook Pro, but now I have a work Dell PC. Virtual Desktop was updated to support 90 fps, so you can set your Quest 2 to 90 fps as well.

I also got Quest2 going 100% wireless. Very similar to ChrisP but slightly different setup. Default controls are still poor but if you can set up a large space (maximum is about 25’ x 25’ for quest 2)… it’s mind blowing. You can just walk into all your rooms!.. no controls needed.

It’s not as hard as it looks. Find a youTube video like this: How To Play PC VR Games On The Oculus Quest 2 - YouTube

You need a gaming PC with a fat graphics card and a decent router (my router details below). I have a PC with i7, 16gb ram and GTX 1050 graphics card.

You need (edited from Chris P)

1. Sketchup Pro 2021 version (or trial version!)
  2. SketchUp Viewer VR app(once you get the pro account, in Trimble, you can go to View-included-applications and download this app)
  3. Trimble Account … (you need to save models here to view them)
  4. Virtual Desktop $19.99 (get it from the Oculus app store)
  5. Virtual Desktop Streamer App (not sure if needed but you’ll find it in the youtube video)
  6. Oculus Developer access (see youtube video)
  7. Sidequest account (not needed)
  8. Sidequest patch for Virtual Desktop (see youtube video)
  9. router… I found a 5ghz router worked fine. Maybe depends on the size of your model as ChrisP (above) needed a wfi-6 router. Here’s what I used: TP Link AC1200

Once all that’s done, here’s the procedure to get it rolling

1. turn on the Oculus and start virtual desktop
  2. navigate to the SketchUp Viewer App and start it
  3. find the trimble account button, select North America, and your saved models should appear

As an aside, before I figured out how to access models on Trimble, you can manually load the models into the SketchUp Viewer App as follows (this also allows a ‘corded’ experience)

1. start sketchup Pro
  2. plug your oculus into your computer with a USB C cord
  3. enable Oculus link when Oculs prompts you
  4. put your headset down
  5. on your computer start the Sketchup Viewer App
  6. on sketchup Pro, go to the window tab, select AR/VR, and load your model

Tthen you can disconnect the cord and start Virtual Desktop, re-start the Viewer App, and your model will be there

1 Like

I recommend giving the irisVR prospect app on the oculus a go. You can sign up for a trial and sync your models from desktop app to the oculus app. Works much better than the sketchup viewer and stand alone without cable. We’ve been using prospect for work the last couple of years. Pricey but powerful and super fast and the meeting functionality is great.

Update: Since March’21. the Oculus Quest 2 App is now available using App Lab for download.

Salut,

Quand tu parles de sketchup viwer c’est sketchup viewer 2021 ou le viewer VR?

Merci pour ton retour,

MArion

Sans doute n’ai je pas assez de connaissance informatique mais j’ai passé des heures à essayer et toujours rien.
Quelqu’un aurait-il une solution plus simple?

Help please