How can I change measurements of a shape (ie: rectangle) non-uniformly?

I’m trying to change the length and width of my deck drawing, but cannot seem to do it properly. I select the entire deck then explode, use the tape measure, type in one measurement at a time yet it still changes the length and width at the same time.
HELP PLEASE!
Thank you so much!

It depends on how you’ve modeled the deck. Most likely exploding it wasn’t the right thing to do, though.

That’s a scaling operatin that will scale the entire model or the active geometry in all three dimensions. Scale may not be the right or at least best choice. Might be that moving a selection is the right choise. Or maybe Push/Pull. Again, it depends on how you’ve created the model. If you share the .skp file we can give you some good direction.

DECK POOL.skp (104.3 KB)

Thank you so much for your very quick response!! Hopefully you will receive this properly.

What dimension do you want to change and to what?

Frankly this is not efficiently modeled so that can make your work more difficult.

I did not upload the model that I exploded as I sent you the model without the explosion.

ok. and I am JUST starting with Sketchup. the deck is to be 25’Long x 16’Wide

I figured that out. What dimension do you want to change and to what do you want to change it?

I wasn’t expecting a 2D drawing made up of a bunch of groups. In this case I guess Scale would be the right tool. Just scale in the direction you need. After you start the scaling operation click to drop the scale handle and type the desired dimension.
scale

This won’t work if you want to change the 25 foot dimension, though. It’ll result inscaling the narrow dimension of the rectangles, too.

Perhaps before you go further with this deck model you should go through the fundamentals of SketchUp at learn.sketchup.com.

1 Like

Sounds good. Thank you very much for your help.