Hip Roof Design

Hi,
I was hoping someone can help me with my Hip Roof. I have tried Aarons Hip Roof Skill Builder. But for some reason my roof ends up with a large square in the middle. My roof is also a 6:12 slope. Using the protractor I believe it worked out to be 26.6 degrees.

The picture with the roof design also shows the porch roof. I will be doing this one separate from the house. I probably have a question on trusses showing through my roof lines :slight_smile: …

Thanks

SketchUp Skill Builder: Hip Roof

Hip Roof.skp (2.1 MB)

Here is the actually roof design from my house plans.

you might just use regular tools - protractor (6:12=26.565°), and lines/faces to create the roof as follow me is unlikely to create the even face set you’re looking for. here’s a quick example which took probably 8 mins.example hip roof - no follow.skp (215.4 KB)

From here you can extend the main hip lines up. Draw an edge toward the peak from the top end of hte hip that you have, as it becomes pink you can hold down the shift key to keep it along that line.
You can get a couple faces as the edges meet up ( i show the edges left long here). You don’t have the fourth hip line but if you understand how to copy and rotate : Make a group of the created faces shown and rotate to fit the other side (they’re the same shape). You rotate around the level “blue” direction from the center “midpoint” of the ridge edge–but if you are not exact you can just rotate it 180 from any cente (or make a copy, flip it both green and red ways) and reposition. Because it is grouped you could move it into place without sticking to other geometry and messing things up.

Likewise you can extend other edges to meet up at the ridges. When you have the surfaces you want, you can erase the extra surfaces and edges below.Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 3.08.55 PM

likewise this little green colored area is a matter of extending the hip lines up and drawing in a few other lines like the ridge, and then the valley. The lesser roof forms are a matter of some “intersect faces” command, maybe need to draw in a few lines again that aren’t dividing faces properly, and erasing the extra edges and faces.

As for Aaron’s technique, you may have to extend your original profile higher to avoid the box. I’d rather have the box myself and do the extensions in this case, if I were using that method.

Somehow all your roof faces are reversed. I’d select them all and use the “reverse faces” command so the white faces are facing out.

I would also recommend turning off length snapping. It likely caused an error in the front overhang.
This caused the roof to be slightly out of kilter.

1 Like

Unfortunatly, when I got to doing the roof. I was actually out by 6 inches on one side. The house should be 40 feet x 40 feet :-(.

Here are a few photo’s of the actual roof.

1 Like

I checked the slope with the protracter and it worked 6:12.

Trusses and rafters may show through the roof top if you have no thickness to the roof deck OR if you actually have a thickness --with the trusses being below the roof surfaces by appropriate thickness and you zoom out a ways. It is the nature of the edges displayed on screen–they don’t “reduce” thickness as you go further away, and look like they are coming through the face. Most cases when you output this is not a problem but you can also setup scenes and methods to hide the edges. For example if the trusses are not visible anyway, you turn their Tag ((Layer) off for those long-shot scenes.

I would rather stick with slope 6:12 instead of converting it to degrees (26.565°).
The ‘Protractor’ tool also accepts inputs of ratio’s like 6:12 to produce guides.

3 Likes

Looks like I posted the wrong video I was using. Here is another one Aaron used with a 6:12 roof line.

Never realized this: have been converting slopes to input protractor angles previously, not realizing that I could input the slope ratio directly. (a Doh! moment for me :slight_smile:)

Thanks!

The same thing applies to the rotated rectangle tool.

1 Like

Ratio input (like 6:12) also applies to the ‘Rotate’ tool.

Looking at the house plans again. It also gave me a ratio for every 1/8" = 1’. This should give me some reference for the valleys on the roof lines. Thanks everyone for their input on this.