Hidden Lines on Vector Models

Hello,

What are most folks doing to achieve a vector based layout drawing with hidden line geometry?
Raster Image with Hidden Lines is not really conducive for quality linework when printed to .pdf

I’ve attempted to duplicate viewports and then exploded one of them to be able to change the linework to hidden/dashed and then overlaid it on the other viewport. The challenge with this is 1-time consuming, and 2- you lose the ability to link model to drawing if changes/revisions are made.

Thanks for any feedback you may have.

I use stacked viewports with the one for the hidden geometry using wireframe face style and dashes set for the tag in LayOut. No exploding viewports. Each viewport is on a separate layer in LO.

Incredible. Thanks!

1 Like

Usually, setting Output Quality to high gives me good enough output from raster rendered viewports. No one is going to view them with a microscope. I use vector rendering when I need vector output like DWG exports. When exporting PDFs I turn JPG image compression off, that is what makes raster output ugly. For vector output, stacking viewports like @DaveR says is the way to go.

Using raster output avoids some intermittent glitches like missing lines that appear in vector output.

DaveR

Saving a new post to ask a question about this method.
When I stack a wireframe vport on top and then make the Tag a hidden line style it makes all the line work dashed in the wireframe style viewport. Is that the only way to do this?
I guess the wireframe dashed lines should all be hidden due to the the non wireframe viewport linework so it should not be visible.
In my instance I was trying to show hidden lines in a section with solid grey hatch fill on the section so I wanted to have the wireframe on top of the other viewport to see the hidden linework through the section. It’s more of a visual need in this case and not a priority dimension. No biggie, just trying to think through this.

Share your LO file so I can see what you’re working with. I’m sure there’s a simple answer but it’s hard to tell without seeing your setup.

how to clip for me