Help with floor

Hello, I’ve spent hours trying to fix my floor on my model but I don’t know how to fix it - i’m including the file below. Currently I’m working on the front door entrance area and I cannot get a floor in that room, it seems it’s below and despite creating a new surface, it isn’t “sealing” it if that makes sense and I cannot apply a texture to that surface. I also noticed my floor is somehow extending up my frame just inside the entrance where the stain glass is . No idea how this has happened? Please can you assist :slight_smile:

Edit - it wont even let me upload the file as it’s too big :confused: 107,000KB

The below screenshot may help - the reason there is the gap between the sub floor and floor is because their are internal steps on the other side of the house going down

Put the file in dropbox or a similar file sharing service and post a link to it here.

1 Like

hello, what you can also do is copy only the part of your model you’re having troubles with, paste it in a new file and attach it here

1 Like

Hi both, thanks - I managed to save it to Google Drive. can you access this link? Home extension remodel London.skp - Google Drive

Hi Paul, did it work ok?

Your floor group is an odd collection of entities

Removing them and redrawing an edge fills the face.

Avoid mixing adding materials to faces and objects. Your floor group is painted with the tile material that, mostly, doesn’t show as the individual faces carry different materials.

1 Like

You have managed to cram over 2 million edges and almost 1.5 million faces into a small house. Most of these reside in your upholstered furniture components. Turn on Hidden geometry to see what is going on. There were several sofas and armchairs with over 100 000 faces. Using simpler ones would make the model smaller and faster to navigate. Purging removed over 100 unused component definitions and quite a bunch of materials. I didn’t save the file so I didn’t see what happened to file size.

1 Like

You have a wrong management of tags. Raw geometry should only be on untagged. Only groups and components must be tagged !

1 Like

Thanks, I sorted it out :slight_smile:

Thank you, I’ll fix. Didnt know this actually

The glassware in the home bar is killing your model. It contributes over 1 million edges! Surely you could use a less detailed shape for something that is entourage.

I didn’t mean like “shame on you !”. It can really cause troubles you are getting into. Some of your groups or components are having half their geometry in a tag (formely layer), the other half on the “unttaged” tag where it should belong. (And maybe more)
You seem to have a complex way of managing your tags visibility in order to go on modelling, and toggling many tags on/off with spread geometry will mess things up !
Ever considered assigning a shortcut to view>component edit>hide rest of model ?
Try toggling it while editing a group or sub-group !
You’ll see less tags is better :wink:

@paul.millet didn’t spell out the reason for not applying tags/layers to edges and faces. When a tag is turned off, the objects using it are not visible but are still active in the model. That means that the other edges and faces that you can see still stick to and intersect with the invisible ones. Very strange errors can result while you edit the model. If you only apply tags/layers to groups or components, you avoid this issue because those objects don’t stick to or intersect others.

1 Like

Thanks Paul! Appreciate the help. I think some groups or components (and parts of them) are getting stuck in tags as they have gotten stuck to other areas they shouldn’t be - like the frame by the door - don’t know how I did it but I can’t select the whole component I created and make it a group. Going to try fix it up!

I believe @DaveR has a plugin to automatically fix this. Maybe he could run it for you ? (Or point out a link to it)

It’s TIG’s Default Tag Geometry from Sketchucation. Anyone can get it and use it.

I ran it on your file, Bianca. This is what it processed to correct the tagging of edges and faces.
Screenshot - 4_16_2021 , 6_17_07 AM

I also purged unused stuff.
Screenshot - 4_16_2021 , 6_20_01 AM

Reduced file size by almost 40%.

There are some components that probably came in with components from the 3D Warehouse that I’m guessing you really don’t need. I didn’t go digging for them but checking for and getting rid of unneeded stuff is a good idea before you add components from the Warehouse to your project file. I wouldn’t be surprised to find lots of unneeded groups in the components, too. They are harder to track down in a model like this because there are so many of them and they all have the same name.

Here’s the file.

3 Likes

hey everyone, thanks for all your help. I purged everything and downloaded the extension from Dave (my tags are looking much better). Im still having an issue with the floors. I pivoted underneath and tried to clean it all up but no matter what I do, it’s not letting me close the floor in the entrance. To me, all the lines line up so it should block it off? Basically, I want a victorian tile in the entrance, wood floor in hall like in living room and terracotta floor in extension and kitchen. Any chance you can help one more time? Sorry to be a pain! Have a headache trying to work it out lol.

Thanks Dave, useful. I’ve used this extension now

remodeled, no furniture: HERL-rem-v2.skp (4.4 MB)

Apply the materials on faces, not on groups. Import 3D models from the 3D warehouse after you have finished modeling the house.

1 Like

Thank you Mihai!!